Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 236 Posts

· Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone doing Curves? I joined January 6th and LOVE it! I've been going 3 times a week and have my first measuring and weigh in next Friday. I have a long journey ahead, but feel energized and ready to go.

· Registered
2,052 Posts
I started going to Curves February 11th last year. I paid a year in advance. In 8 months, I'd lost 65 lbs, bringing me from a size 22/24 to size 14. I went from showing early signs of diabetes to no signs of early diabetes. I went from borderline high cholesterol, to perfectly normal cholesterol.

And, that was all thanks to Curves!

I no longer have time to work out at Curves anymore, and my membership is running out. I have a membership to another gym, too, so I'm not worried about it. I'll sure miss the set up, though. Curves got me excited about working out! I actually enjoyed it!

I love Curves.

Side Note: After seeing how much success I was having with Curves, my doctor turned around and bought a Curves for his holistic health center!

· Registered
2,831 Posts
I'd love to do something like that when I'm feeling better, but I've always been to embarrassed to exercise in front of people. I can't even use my treadmill in front of my husband. :LOL Is/was anyone else like that, and how did you get over it?

Journey WTG!

· Registered
2,864 Posts
can someone explain Curves to me? From the commercials I've seen, they seem to be setting themselves up as MORE than just a gym? Also....if I may ask...how pricey was it??

My 10 year reunion will be a month
after I give birth to my son this summer and I'm thinking about joining up....actually, I'll join up something even if I don't go...I didn't start this pregnancy as healthy as I would have liked to.

· Premium Member
3,983 Posts
I have been planning to join curves next week or so. I keep seeing commercials for 1/2 off the fee. I am also interested in the cost if anyone wants to share.
Gossamer

· Registered
5,764 Posts
I joined in September and have been loving it. I have lost 15 or 20 pounds, gone from a 20 to a 16/14, and lost aboput 30 inches, too. I feel great and love going. Mine costs 150 to join (at half that was 75) and 49 a month. BUT, I live in NYC and I know that where my mom is it was only 29 per month! It is worth it.

The set up: it is circuit training. There a a bunch of machines and pads alternating arounf the room (pad, machine, pad, machine) and you do 3 loops through the set-up with 30 seconds on each machine/pad and then on to the next one. So it is fast moving, not too much of anything, and they expect you to work hard. There is a trainer around all the time to show you excercises to do when you are on the pad and to help on the machines if you need it.

Re working out in front of others: everyone there is doing the smae thing. Many of the women at my Curves are older or very heavy and they are working too. IT IS A VERY SUPPORTIVE (opps on caps!) environment and I wouldn't worry too much - it is all women and they are all ther to lose weight.

Go do a trail - it can't hurt!

· Premium Member
11,611 Posts
One of my best friends goes to curves and has nothing but good things to say about it. She said its a 30 minute work out you don't have to think about, and the people are really nice.

· Registered
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vipassanagal
How do I find out about this? I don't have TV so haven't seen the ads, but it sound terrific. I need something organized and motivting. Is it just for women?
Yeah, it is and they are popping up EVERWHERE. I live near you and I *bet* that if you called information there would be a few in the The City....

· Registered
12,640 Posts
I've been a member of Curves since Feb 2000! I got pregnant shortly thereafter and at the advice of my doctor
: stopped working out during my pregnancy. I started working out again about six months after dd was born and lost all my pregnancy weight.
My second pregnancy, I worked out through my whole pregnancy, in fact I worked out Wednesday morning and ds was born at 4:34am Thursday morning.

Although I have some more weight to lose, it is because I haven't been eating well.
I'm finally losing weight again, and have banished cheese puffs from the house. LOL

I am usually shy about stuff like working out in public, but I don't mind it now. Last year my mom joined, so we chat while we work out and that makes it easier.

Oh, looking for a local location? http://www.curvesinternational.com/isthereacurvesnearme

· Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well . . .the results are in: I just had my first weigh in and as of 1 month, I have lost 9.5 inches and 8 pounds. 2.5 from my waist. 3 from my belly, 1.5 from my hips, 1/2 from my thigh, and 2 from my arms. I'm pretty pleased. I can't wait till next month. I only wish the pound loss was higher.

· Registered
12,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelly71
Well . . .the results are in: I just had my first weigh in and as of 1 month, I have lost 9.5 inches and 8 pounds. 2.5 from my waist. 3 from my belly, 1.5 from my hips, 1/2 from my thigh, and 2 from my arms. I'm pretty pleased. I can't wait till next month. I only wish the pound loss was higher.
Sounds great to me!
For healthy weight loss, it's suggested to lose up to 2lb/week so you're right on target.
Way to go!

· Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Kelly,
How often did you go? I have heard they recommend 3 times a week. Did you change your eating habits much? Was it hard to stick with it? Tell us more.
Gossamer

· Registered
5,764 Posts
8lbs is great. You don't want to lose toio fast because it is hard on your body and the fat is being replaced with muscle which weighs more, so it isn't going to work to just focus on the lbs. Some months I have only lost 2 lbs but a bunch of inches or body fat % and even though the scale is nearly unmoved, people say "wow - you look great - you lost a bunch of weight!"

Many congrats!

· Registered
5,764 Posts
PS. I go 3-5 times a week and I haven't changed my eating mcuh, although when the pounds start to come off and you feel great, you want to eat less/better and keep it coming!

· Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I go 3 times a week and really watch my carbs and fats. I try to eat about 2000 cals a day but honestly, sometimes it's hard to eat that much without turning to hi-cal comfort foods. I am actually proud of the changes in my eating habits. It's a long road ahead, but I guess I'm off to a good start. Good luck everyone.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.