Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading Mother Goose to ds1 and 2 tonight and I came across this cute rhyme:

Cushy Cow

Cushy Cow, bonny, let down thy milk,
And I will give thee a gown of silk;
A gown of silk and a silver tee,
If thou wilt let down thy milk to me.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mzfern View Post
Cute poem... but how is this about lactvism?

A lot of Mother Goose rhymes were actually political or sexual in nature. For example, Humpty Dumpty was said to have been about a battle, another story is it's about King Richard III of England, and yet another is it's about a king in England that was crazy but no one could come out and say he was crazy so they composed a rhyme about it. There's a possibility this rhyme was actually about breastfeeding and not, in fact, about a cow.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mzfern View Post
Cute poem... but how is this about lactvism?

Maybe I'm not aware of the true meaning of lactivism but I figure if I breastfeed, read books like "We Like to Nurse" to my children and show them poems about how other mammals can nurse their babies then maybe I can raise strong supporters of breastfeeding. A stretch yes, but kids can make great leaps when it comes to picking up on ideas.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by firstkid4me View Post
A lot of Mother Goose rhymes were actually political or sexual in nature. For example, Humpty Dumpty was said to have been about a battle, another story is it's about King Richard III of England, and yet another is it's about a king in England that was crazy but no one could come out and say he was crazy so they composed a rhyme about it. There's a possibility this rhyme was actually about breastfeeding and not, in fact, about a cow.
This makes a lot of sense, because... since when do people dress their cows in silk gowns?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.