Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I was opening a can to use for lunch and in the blink of an eye I cut the tip of my thumb on the can lid. (Never happened before in my life!) It bled, I washed it off, applied pressure, and it quickly stopped bleeding. I have a band aid on it now. I would describe it as a really deep papercut but no longer than a half and inch and certainly not deep enough to need stitches. Other than normal care for a cut is there anything special I need to do? Watch out for? Should I tell my midwife? I feel like I'm overreacting but I can't recall cutting myself on metal in my previous pregnancies and isn't gettting cut on metal a bad thing? ;) Thanks mamas!</p>

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
<p>The best advice I think you need right now is to just relax. :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>While it's true that your immune system is a bit compromised during pregnancy**, you really aren't THAT fragile. I'm 27W into my #2 and I've never heard anything about any sort of PG-related problems with cuts like that. Washing it so the wound is clean & applying a band aid is totally adequate - same thing I'd tell a non-PG person to do.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>**You're more at risk for listeria-poisoning, so if you eat lunch meat, just heat to steaming. That's all.</p>

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
<p>if it was old rusty metal in a junkyard you might be smart to fret, clean new metal is really nothing, specially a clean cut that bleeds, it just cleaned itself out very well. Puncture wounds are more bothersome because they trap stuff deep inside.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm sure all is very good with you</p>

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
<p>I cut myself in the same way a couple months ago and had no problems except the nuisance of a cut on my finger.</p>

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>Thanks for the replies!</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts