Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have always had SO many clothes!!
I am like the queen! I havent gained but a few pounds in the past 10 years, so I have hung on to ALL my clothes, and now I am buried under them and cant get out!!
I dont wear half of them but once or twice a year. I think my fear is if I get rid of them, then I will want to wear them!!
My question is, as anyone reduced their clothing to just the basics?
Lets say:
1 very dressy outfit(little black dress)
2 going out on the town outfits (4 pieces that can mix and match)
7 shirts
7 bottoms
1 pair shoes
1 pair sandles

Okay, I know this may seem like alot of clothes, but I dont think I could do less than that. I have always been known for my outfits and my "style" and I am scared to lose that part of me. Plus, I go to alot of functions and really dont want to wear the same thing every weekend!!
Anyone have any hints/tips experience to offer me? Is this even a good idea?? It makes me want to cry just thinking about it LOL

·
Registered
715 Posts
I had to restock my wardrobe after dd was born and I realized I would probably never be the same shape again, and found myself in a similar predicament. WHat you described does seem a wee bit paltry to me, though. I'll be interested to see what others think! I work full-time, so in a sense, I already have two wardrobes: work clothes and weekend clothes. There is some overlap, but not a ton, so sometimes I do feel like I have a lot of clothes, but dressing professionally is important to me. I won't go to work looking frumpy! I don't spend a lot of money per se -- I *always* shop sales and just won 3 auctions for work sweaters for under $5 total! -- but I do have a fair amount of pieces that mix and match.

For the weekends, I have 2-3 pairs of pants per season (2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of capris), 4 T-shirts, 2 tank tops, and 2 sweatshirts.

For work, I have 8 pairs of pants combined (cold and warm seasons total, not for each), and 4 skirts. I can also wear jeans on Fridays, and frequently do. Tops: lots of plain white or black T-shirts in various styles (these are my "uniform" or sorts and go with everything), 4 colored shirts, and probably 6-8 cardigans/sweaters/jackets per season.

I don't know if that's a lot or not, but it works for me. Because I spend the greater part of every day in my work clothes, I get tired of wearing the same things day after day, and I feel better about myself when I know I look good, so that's my rationale, LOL!

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
That doesn't sound like a ton to me. I always need more shirts than pants though as I will often wear my jeans more than once.

I think if you have plenty of accessories you could make it work though.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I would think the weather in OH would require more that that. Maybe that for each season. I'm just a couple states away and I need clothes for the 90's to the -9's so my basic needs are way more than that. Does LA even have a winter? OP I would suggest getting rid of the clothes that don't fit first. Then put away (under bed or such) things you don't think you will need. Also think about how you travel. I recently had to up some items when we started traveling for longer than a week and couldn't count on having access to a laundry.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Does LA even have a winter?

Oh yes! I definitely need clothes for two seasons: hot and cold. At the height of summer, we've got temps in the 90's and 100's, but from December through March, we wake up to frost more often than not as it dips down to the 20's-30's at night, and peaks in the 50's-60's during the day. It's certainly not as frigid as some other areas, but I couldn't get away with NOT having long pants, warm tops, good shoes, and a good jacket.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
OP-Maybe it would be an easier transition for you to get rid of a little at a time?Start with stuff that's out of season or not the right size anymore or something like that. Sounds like you have a LOT so maybe set a goal of dropping off 1 bag at a charity every other week for a while. It can help you get int he habit of getting rid of htings, and as you cut back slowly you'll start seeing how you really don't miss those things, and you'll start noticing more which items you actually use on a regular basis.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
I'm working on pruning my closet this week. I'm dumping some that is out of style or didn't ever fit right. I'm putting the too-small stuff in a box under the bed. It doesn't deserve closet space, but I'm not willing to get rid of it. I'm planning to only keep the stuff that I look GREAT in - I'd rather wear the same good-looking outfits every three days than wear the ill fitting stuff.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I totally forgot about the seasons LOL
I am thinking about putting the smallish/ill-fitting clothes under the bed, see if I miss them at all! Whatever doesnt come out of the box in 6 months is getting thrown out.
And I am starting to put things from the other seasons away. We will see if I even remember they are there in a few months!!!

HUm, I think I may hang on to more shirts.

See I am the person with 4 or 5 winter coats
so this is tough, but thank you so much for the ideas!!

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I have the same problems with clothing. we all do in my family.

A month or so ago, I finally did it though. I just went through the closet and if I hadn't warn in in 2 years it was gone. Now we have a much smaller problem, but a problem just the same.

I have fewer shirts than I would like to have though.

I have 3-4 pairs of jeans that I wear for work.
3 broomstick skirts
2 pairs of capris
3 pairs of cotton shorts I wear on the days I have my fitness working class and then will wear to my weight lifting class in the next eight weeks.

I have maybe 5-7 shirts that I feel comfortable wearing
2 pairs of flip flops (one brown, one black)
pair of doc martens (brown)
1 pair of birks (brown seude)
NO dress shoes
1 pair of tennis shoes
I would like to buy two more sweaters, and I have 3 now

Now I'm in the mood to downsize again

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've never been much of a clotheshorse anyway, but having to build a maternity wardrobe from scratch really showed me how few clothes a person needs to get by. Here's what I've gotten by with through the spring, summer and now the fall:

Underwear
I bought 2 3-packs
3 tanks with built-in bras
1 bra

(I seriously need some new bras, but I hesitate to buy them because my girls are clearly in a state of transition still ...)

Socks
the same ones I had before. DP and I tend to share. I need to overhaul the sock drawer.

Work clothes

Two pairs of pants, one khaki, one black.
One black skirt
One brown skirt
5 button down shirts with half sleeves, in assorted colors
1 long sleeve button-down, light purple

One cotton dress (brown and white)

One casual brown sweater
One dressy brown sweater
One red turtleneck (which I finally get to wear today since it's cold enough!)

Weekend clothes

Bathing suit
Denim shorts
4 T-shirts --maroon, blue, black and dark brown

Shoes
One pair of eggplant-colored leather maryjane flats that work with either black or brown clothes
Brown loafers
Tan dress shoes (heels)
Black low-heeled sandals
sneakers/boat shoes

I don't even have that many accessories, from pre-preg. One black belt, one brown (which I obviously don't wear these days ...) 4 pairs of earrings, all of which I love, and 3 necklaces. I've always been one to go with fewer things like that and save my money for nice stuff when I buy it. I have a lot of cool tights that I like to wear with skirts, but those aren't exactly looking comfy at 8 months.

I return to work in late winter, post-baby. I have a feeling that most of my old clothes aren't going fit anyway, so I get to play this game again ...

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Ok I live in NEOH and tbh, this is the rule around here...

1. If it hasn't been worn in a year, it's out.
2. If it's in the closet w/tags on it 6 months after being purchased, it's out.
3. If it doesn't fit in a flattering way (i.e. dh's too big baggy jeans, my too tight anything or "smiling crotch" pants) it's out.
4. If it's worn and has a hole or broken something and I haven't repaired it in3 months, it's gone
5. Coats: If they are functional and in good workign order and get used, they stay. So I have a cold cold cold full length down coat that only gets used a few times a year, a ski parka that I wear a lot, a lighter weight winter/spring coat, a windbreaker, a fleece, a raincoat, and one dress coat. But they all get used!
6. Shoes: We each keep one nice pair of tennis shoes, one grungy pair for yard work and other stuff, winter boots, and then I have a few pairs of dress shoes that go with specific outfits - if the outfits fall under rule 1, the shoes go. If the shoes are so beat that I'd be embarassed to wear them somewhere nicer than the movie theater, they go. Typically I have 2 pairs of sandals for everyday in summer (Birks and crappy flip flops) and 2 pair of clogs for winter (brown and black) in nice shape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts