Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get wooden cutting boards. I have plastic now, and glass is too dangerous with my kids around. I assume wood is the safest. How do I know if it's untreated? All stores sell them. Also, what is the proper care for them?

Thanks, Ana

· Registered
290 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
Every now and then rub with a bit of oil.
I've heard you're supposed to use mineral oil because vegetable oils will turn rancid.

· Registered
2,886 Posts
Since getting rid of a plastic cutting board, I actually do almost all of my cutting on our stoneware dinner plates. Seems to be working fine for me.

I have been wondering if I even need to get another cutting board at all....

· Registered
4,400 Posts
I have tempered glass cutting boards (two sizes). I've had them for over 15 years in many different living situations, including children, and they are in great shape and no one has been hurt.

We have a built-in wood cutting board but do not use it. Our glass ones work great. Plus, I learned that wood ones harbor bacteria back in college, so I haven't been excited to try them out again when what we have is nontoxic and functional.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

We have a built-in wood cutting board but do not use it. Our glass ones work great. Plus, I learned that wood ones harbor bacteria back in college, so I haven't been excited to try them out again when what we have is nontoxic and functional.

Wood actually has natural antibacterial properties that make it far superior to plastic as far as bacteria go.

I only use wood - I don't know how anyone can stand cutting on glass. I've tried it and it gives me the willies just thinking about it.

I LOVE cutting things
I love a good sharp knife
I need the perfect surface so as not to interfere with my chopping experience.

So far, my favorite boards are made of bamboo. They seem to warp less in my experience.

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
where can I get *real* bamboo boards?
I can order on-line and ship to NY, (or Canada is shipping isn't too much) but it would be easier local, since my mother has a few (too many!) things to send over, and I don't want to load her with more, until I get what she has!

Thanks, Ana

· Registered
112 Posts
I have bamboo, one side is for veggies and fruit the other is for meat. I scratched a M on the meat side so I don't forget.

I bought mine at walmart, but have seen them at krogers and meijers as well.
They sell a special oil for cutting boards and counter tops, one bottle lasts forever... If your board gets nicked up, and you feel it's not getting clean enough, sand it down, wash well and re-oil.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absinthia View Post
That's not the entire truth

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/cutting_board.htm

Cool article! I've worked in restaurants and had to deal with health inspectors and it never ceases to amaze me how health code is based on fear and bad logic, not good research

I think that it might be the tannic acid in wood that gives it the antibacterial properties. I've also heard that oiling it will inhibit these properties so better to just sand it down occasionally.

It does make me wonder.... does bamboo have the same antibacterial properties? Humm.... maybe I'll stick with hardwoods.

Also, bamboo is harder than "hardwoods" so it does dull knives more readily. Also can't be sanded the same as wood.

Just another random fact about cutting boards.... Having the grain "on end" is easier on your knives and will keep the boards from warping.

· Registered
2,271 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alicia P View Post
I have bamboo, one side is for veggies and fruit the other is for meat. I scratched a M on the meat side so I don't forget.

Haha, I did that with my plastic one which I am replacing.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Just one more thought on the bacteria...

I use my cutting boards for both meat and vegetables but I wash and let them dry in between.

I guess that it depends on what you are worried about in particular but vegetables can harbor a lot of bad bacteria (salmonella and e. coli.). Bagged lettuce is a particularly bad culprit as well as cantaloupe. I think that many people assume that salmonella is in all chicken (I know I used to) but it isn't. It's a regional problem and I think it's more prevalent on the east coast than the west. I mean, I think it's best to assume that your chicken is contaminated but your veggies might be too.

I guess all I was thinking is that I'm not sure using separate cutting boards is worth the effort.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.