Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case anyone is curious, here is a success story, of sorts.

WHen ds turned 2 yrs old, I stopped night nursing. I told him I needed to sleep at night and he could have milk in the morning when the sun came up. That worked pretty well. Instead of nursing at night, he decided he was happy if he could touch my belly, so that was that.

At this point, ds was nursing 3 times/day. Once first thing in the morning, once midday before a nap, and once just before bed.

Then ds#2 came along (I got pg almost immediately after I stopped night nursing... hmmm...) just before ds1 turned 3 years old.

I decided I really couldn't handle the naptime nursing anymore so we talked about it for a few weeks and then one day I just said I can't do the nap nursing anymore, but we could still cuddle up and read stories together. It was pretty emotional for that first day, for both of us, but we read stories, he touched my tummy, and then he almost never asked for any mid-day milk.

Okay, here we are now, ds is 3.5 years old and I have been bugged by the morning nursing for a while, so again we talked about it and a few days ago I told him that would be the last morning milk. I asked him what we could do instead that was special. So now he gets up in the morning and doesn't ask for milk, he just asks for a story. So we sit together and cuddle and read stories while he touches my tummy.

Now he just nurses once/day, just before bed. I never thought it would be so difficult or emotional for both of us to cut out nursing sessions. I am nursing an almost-9-month-old baby and was getting more and more annoyed by my older ds nursing. I never imagined he'd nurse this long, and I seem to have developed this weird love/hate relationship with his nursing. I know he LOVEs it and he's very very sad when I eliminate an opportunity for him to nurse, but I decided I couldn't truely do CLW because it was driving my nuts every time he nursed (didn't like it, uncomfortable, awkward...), so we've just very very graduatlly been eliminating them. I know others are in the same boat, so I thought maybe my experience might be useful or interesting for someone out there.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
Moving this to Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I'm considering cutting down DD's nursing lately so I'm looking at ideas. I've been following CLW because I'm mostly too lazy to fight about not nursing.

However, my back hurts all the time from night nursing. I'm tired of being pulled on and my breasts being toys and feeling like a cow all the time. My DD just turned 4 years old and we don't do dairy products due to sensitivities.

We've talked a little about cutting back nursing and maybe doing a scheduled type thing - morning and night type stuff. We're not very scheduled in general. I hate saying no to DD but I feel like I need to in order to care for myself.

I haven't had a decent night's sleep in so long I can't remember. Plus I am hormonal right now hence the sore nipples so that doesn't help. I'm not making any decisions right now but I appreciate the info as I am trying to figure out the best way to go for both DD and myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.