Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My extremely active 18 month old will no longer let me cut his nails (we used to do it after bath and dh would blow bubbles to distract him).

I know a lot of people do it when their kids are sleeping, but truthfully he's so difficult to get to sleep and such a light sleeper that I do NOT want to take the chance of waking him up.

Any ideas here? I know this is a colossally stupid question but he's scratching me when he's nursing and I can't put it off any longer!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Clipping nails and icing injuries were the two reasons I used to let DS watch a short bit of video. It worked like a charm since we were otherwise tv-free.

Even though we watch some videos now at 26 months, it still works pretty well.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
put him in the sling, go outside & try to find a cat to watch or something....clip! clip! and it's still nearly impossible

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Nail-clipping is the ONLY use I have for TV with DD. I turn on the Treehouse channel, she sits mesmerized and now actually holds out her hand for me to clip her nails. Yay TV!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
I just wrap them up in a towel, place them firmly in my lap, and go to town
:
I used to do that with my cat and guinea pigs.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
We do it while sleeping, but I clip the nails while Dh holds sleeping Ds on his shoulder in the rocking chair. If Ds stirrs he's rocked right back out.

Only when I'm desperate do I try cutting with him asleep and laying down. I made it through 8 fingers and 1 thumb the other day before I woke him.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks mamas.

Maybe I'll try when he's watching Dora
:
:
:

He's obsessed with Dora so that might be a good excuse to indulge his love affair!

·
Registered
444 Posts
we have a tough time with clipping as well! I miss the days of clippng while nursing!! I usualoy have him seated in the high chair for the toes...and i'm usualy holding him on my lap for dh to do his fingers. I really hate to do it! BUt at least it's over with somewhat quickly

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
I have always resorted to bribery...those small, Newman's own cookies are the official nail cutting reward/distraction/bribe in our house. When they were smaller I would break the cookies up into little pieces and have the child on my lap. While the child was grabbing cookies pieces off the table, I would clip the other hand, then switch. It worked pretty well!

At some point they got old enough to be okay with the cookie as a reward and not so much as a distraction.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I admit I've only ever trimmed dd's nails while she sleeps(naptime, not night time). However, when I trim her hair I sit her on my lap and let her watch TV...Sprout has shows in 10 minute intervals during much of the day so I have enough time to trim AND the show has a clear beginning/middle/end so dd transitions out of the program easily (I once tried turing a show off before "the end" and it got a bit unpleasant so now I look for those 10 minute programs)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.