Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have any experience with internet based schooling or cyberschooling of some type? My son is 14 and is in 8th grade right now. He is totally miserable and hates school because he is picked on a lot and has a lot of social problems. he has ADD and has a hard time holding on to friends. I told him that I would investigate cyberschooling options but I really don't know anything about this. Also I can not homeschool as I am a single parent and work outside the home. I'd greatly appreciate any input you mamas might have. Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts

I don't have personal experience with one, but it sure sounds like a good alternative. Here's one I'd be sure to check out - it's a correspondence school that's very flexible compared to a lot of what's out there, and it also has an online part called CompuHigh:

Clonlara

I haven't looked into how it all works, but I think it would be a good idea to call them and talk the situation over with them to see if it might be a good fit.

Also, it might be a good idea to get a copy of The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education, by Grace Llewellyn - that book has been a huge help for a lot of kids. And her newest book would be good to take a look at too: Guerrilla Learning: How to Give Your Kids a Real Education With or Without School.

- Lillian

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
My kindergartener is cyberschooling this year. The options vary *widely* by state (I believe that PA has the most-- *eleven*!
), so you might want to look into your state's programs to limit your options somewhat (though, if you're in PA... well, there are tons of options
). BeanBean is currently attending Agora Cyber Charter School, which uses the K12 program. He's having the time of his life with it, though of course we haven't used the high school curriculum yet.

I also wanted to add that you can indeed homeschool as a single, working parent-- please look for support threads or start one, but there are several single moms here who homeschool.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mamas. I checked out the links. Compuhigh looks like a great prgogram but it is ultra expensive. I just do not have $1000 a year to spend for his schooling. I also went to the Agora link and they actually run a "sister" program in AZ, called Arizona Virtual Academy. I will be attending an info session in October.
Thanks again for the help!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why not try SOS curricululm. Its a computer based curriculum you upload from a disk. Its about $250 new but you can always buy it off of ebay ( I got my dd's for $100) for all of the core subjects. It sets up lesson plans, grades questions quizes and tests, and provides report cards. WE absolutly love it. The math is a bit annoying because you have to type in exactly what it wants. For ex. It may ask for the answer 6/8 and my dd may reduce as she was taught and come up with 3/4 and it be considered incorrect. For that reason we use a Saxon Math. It really is easier for most kids to put pen to paper for math anyway. it is "christian" and does have a bible curriculum if you are interested. The other subjects ( language arts, science, math, history) does have refrences to God, Jesus, & the Bible but is not overtly christian which quite a few curriculums are. Other than that I do know that Jubilee Academy (a cyber school) is $900 but you can pay it in 4 installments and they do have alot of electives but then again they are christian too. Its hard to get away from if you aren't. I'm lucky that we are christian so its not a issue for me but we've run into curriculum (rod and staff) that was way over the top for us. Anyway hope that helps!

Paige. Adopted mom to C
13, K
11, bio mom to Avery
(2) and
again!!
:
:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also just being nosy but are you Wiccan? There is a wiccan cyber school that seems to have alot to offer. I've actually considered enrolling my girls just for a few courses that you can't get with SOS like Greek and Roman Gods, the use of herbs etc... for the life of me I can't find it now but will post it when I do!

Paige. Adopted mom to C
13, K
11 , bio mom to Avery
(2) and
again!!
:
:

edit: Okay I found it Its $800 so its high too. www.goddessmooncirclesacademy.org

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
we do Florida virtualral school with my teen--it is free and has honors courses. fills in very nicely an has made it able for her to finish two year sin one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.