Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from my ultrasound and the technician found a cyst on one of my ovaries. It is about 3cm. She said it's pretty common during pregnancy and it will probably go away on its own, but my doctor will talk more about it with me. Hearing the word cyst freaks me out! Have any of you experienced something like this?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also had a cyst on my ovary which was monitored during my pregnancy. I do not recall what size it was (or rather, what size she thought it measured at first) but I had extra ultrasounds and it was discovered to be very large. I believe it was eventually measured to be 9cm. I ended up with a c-section (not because of the cyst, though I would have had to have surgery to have it removed at some point most likely) and my right ovary was removed because of the cyst. This is by no means what usually happens though. I think cysts themselves are very common. During the pregnancy I felt increased pressure and some pain on that side.

-MM

·
Registered
235 Posts
My Grandmother had a cyst on an ovary when she was young, they removed the whole ovary. (then she had 12 kids after that, go figure)

My sister had a cyst on an ovary when she was 17... she found out because she was pregnant, and having pain, and saw the doctor... the doctor insisted on removing the cyst. He told her that her baby had died in the operation to remove it, and gave her pain meds. several weeks later, she was in pain still, and went back to a different doctor, who told her that she was miscarrying, due to the pain meds. The baby had not died during surgery, but had died because of the first doctor's incompetence anyway. My sister was crshed.

Most of the time, a cyst will not e anything to worry about, benign and may just mean you might be uncofrotable. but if it does turn out to be an issue, make sure your doctor is very careful and follows every possibility first before removing it, because I would hate to see anyone go through what my sister did.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tschecter View Post
My sister had a cyst on an ovary when she was 17... she found out because she was pregnant, and having pain, and saw the doctor... the doctor insisted on removing the cyst. He told her that her baby had died in the operation to remove it, and gave her pain meds. several weeks later, she was in pain still, and went back to a different doctor, who told her that she was miscarrying, due to the pain meds. The baby had not died during surgery, but had died because of the first doctor's incompetence anyway. My sister was crshed.
I don't have any info for the OP, but I just had to say how very sad this story made me. I'm sorry your sister had to go through that. I have also suffered at the hands of an incompetent OB, and it really sucks
:.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Not in your due date club, but...

From what I understand EVERYONE gets a corpus luteum cyst on the overy that released the egg... it usualy goes away on it's own by around 10 weeks. I had a large one with my last pregnancy.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Not in your DDC either, but I also had a corpus luteum cyst with my last pregnancy. Mine actually burst when I was 7w. The baby was fine. I called the Dr and demanded to be seen. I thought I was having an ectopic pregnancy. I was glad to find out that it was a cyst. From what I understand, most resolve on their own in the first tri.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Corpeus leuteum ("yellow body") cysts are very important during pregnancy. I had one with dd that burst (rather painfully) around 13 weeks. It was really no big deal, but I remember at the time being pretty freaked out about it.

IIRC, the CL is what happens to the follicle after the egg bursts from it. It remains active, adding progesterone (could be wrong, it could be a different hormone, but pretty sure it's progesterone) to the system to halt the menstrual cycle when either fertilization or implantation occurrs. Toward the end of the first trimester, I believe the placenta takes over this task. Most CL cysts simply dissolve but others grow larger and then burst. Nothing's wrong when this happens--but it can be painful.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had a corpus luteum cyst (which I'm pretty sure is what you're experiencing) with my dd. It got as big as 10 cm and then it burst on my due date. It was HORRIBLE pain for a few hours and then it was fairly mild for a couple of days after it burst. However, I was very thankful that it burst before I went into labor. I don't think I could have dealt with that pain and labor at the same time. Hopefully yours will either be absorbed into your body or burst before it gets too big!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.