Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
we specifically REFUSE Cytotec by name in our birth plan, and our OB signed off on it

Aimee

·
Registered
976 Posts
I need to go over my birth plan with my OB next week. I have a short version for the hospital staff to quick reference and a long version for her. I also am going to need to take DSS into the doc for his allergies and to meet the new PCP doc since our favorite left the practice. I figure since this one has IBCLC after her MD that we will probably get along better than with the DO who is amazingly interventionist and as a FAAP is an embarassment to the AAP since he masacares their statement on breastfeeding to the point where it wasn't even recognisable. I figure I could get her to sign off on the part that involves the baby... maybe. I wouldn't mind posting my birth plan(s) if anyone is interested. Maybe we could start a thread with our birth plans?

Anna

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Can't get it to play, but I know it's a terrible drug. I really can't believe it's still being used despite warnings and known risks. I was induced using cytotec w/dd1 4.5 yrs. ago, but we all know so much more about it now. I had a labor experience I never care to repeat with cytotec.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Curlita View Post
One benefit of doing a VBAC is that they won't give me any induction drugs for fear of uterine rupture...
I'm having a VBAC too, but since I don't plan on having other children, I really don't have much restriction on what I'll consent to so long as I get this one out the front door. I do have the interventions ranked in an order though. I'm hoping to get through with minimal interventions, but it should be in my chart already that I won't consent to a repeat c/s unless mine or the baby's lives are in danger; IE a true emergency.

Anna

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Why would docs choose Cytotec over Cervadil? I was induced using Cervadil, is that drug a safer choice? Just curious.

That video was so sad, and so frightening.

eta: Oh goodness...how in the heck did I end up in the Nov DDC? Sorry for popping in guys, I must have been scanning titles and didn't realize where I was.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rach03 View Post
Why would docs choose Cytotec over Cervadil? I was induced using Cervadil, is that drug a safer choice? Just curious.
Cytotec is cheap. I read recently that it has a very long shelf life, so there's another reason. Yes, Cervadil is MUCH safer!

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Quote:
. maybe. I wouldn't mind posting my birth plan(s) if anyone is interested. Maybe we could start a thread with our birth plans?
I can post mine -- any any version
my looong version for DH and doula, or the signed off version the OB agreed too.

Quote:
Cytotec is cheap. I read recently that it has a very long shelf life, so there's another reason. Yes, Cervadil is MUCH safer!
I can't see the longer shwlf life or $ argumet as all that strong, i am sure they get used. but come on, these are hosptials, not lone doc carrying little black bags all over the back hills ............ is shelf life really that big an issue?

AImee

·
Registered
520 Posts
In the book "Born In The USA", there is an entire chapter related to that Cytotec drug and its harmful effects, including maternal death and infertility. All I know is that I'd NEVER want that tiny little pill in me!

I saw on an older Birth Day show someone being induced with that and she looked like she was in agony, even though she was only 2 cm dialated (apparently, they wouldn't give her any pain medicine until she was 5 cm). I felt very sorry for that mommy.

Jessie
(single mommy to Emma, 3 1/2 years and Angela, 2 years)

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
We just re-started using cytotec, where I work, after not using it for years. I wouldn't want it for myself, or need it for that matter, but we haven't had any complications from it and it's actually worked quite well.
:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 of the doulas in the group I belong to have attended births where it's been administered and they both agreed that they were the scariest births they have EVER attended in their careers. They literally thought the women were going to die they were in so much pain.

I have no idea why they would use it over another drug that has been approved and proven to be safer. I just know I wanted to post this after seeing it because, if for some reason, one of us "needs" something to help us along, and don't know about this beforehand... well, I would feel very guilty not having passed it along. It's really sad.

Manda

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ackray View Post
We just re-started using cytotec, where I work, after not using it for years. I wouldn't want it for myself, or need it for that matter, but we haven't had any complications from it and it's actually worked quite well.
:
I just read that the drug company that makes Cytotec issued a letter to doctors warning them not to use it for inductions. Did they perhaps rescind that? Maybe that's why your office is using it again?

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I will say that once my water broke on it's own (after 1.5 days of having cytotec every 4 hours with only wimpy contractions), the pain was unbearable. I was in another dimension, completely unaware of what was going on around me. The contractions did not let up at all. They came one on top of another. It was probably the worst pain I've ever been in (though appendicitis ranks up there - I was coherent though through that pain.) I was only 4 cm when my water broke. My natural labor with dd2 was so easy and didn't feel painful at all compared to what I went through with my cytotec induction. It was scary being that out of control and in pain.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AimeeandBrian
This is the one thing my Bradley instructor has a firm opinion on. Usually she says here's what I do, but do your own research etc. but on Cytotec she said plainly to not do it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I ended up in the emergency room after being given Cytotec for a miscarriage. I felt like I was being wrung in half like a wet towel. My BP dropped to 80/40 and I lost consciousness. I am now terrified of any kind of drug for induction, and after I got pregnant again I had nightmares & even daymares that I accidentally touched Cytotec.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.