Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,<br><br>
I've decided to get an IUD (Mirena) - I'm seeing my dr. on Monday for the insertion. I just came back from picking up the prescription, and I noticed she also prescribed Cytotec to take vaginally Sunday night. I remember her mentioning she'd give me a drug, but I had assumed it was for pain and didn't really listen carefully as I didn't intend on taking it. Now I wish I had paid closer attention... The monograph strongly warns against using Cytotec while BF. I'm EBFing DS2 and DS1 is also still nursing, so no way am I taking it. I guess I have two questions: 1- why on earth would she prescribe this to me knowing I BF (she is very supportive of BF); and, 2- will I still be able to get the IUD on Monday if I don't take the drug. FWIW, I've already had Mirena (between DS1 and DS2) without Cytotec and it worked well for me.<br><br>
Thanks mamas!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
is it to help open the cervix? i got an iud in 2006, but i went in @ 8 wks pp. i've known others who waited but didn't need cytotec. maybe she could insert it on your cd3 or so when your cervix is still open but you aren't bleeding heavily???

1 - 2 of 2 Posts