Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have D-MER? I'm super worried that it will be back and worse with this baby. I'm not sure I can handle it. I almost stopped BFing at 6 months because I felt crazy because no one (MD, midwife, doula, LLL, LC) could tell me what was going on.
I'm feeling nauseous just thinking about it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
D-MER is when you have let down and your brain stops dopamine uptake for the 30-90 seconds of let down. What does this mean? It means someone with D-MER gets depressed during each letdown. For me, it is like having the pit of depression. I get nauseous, sad, and really down on myself. For the first 6 months PP, I was having these feelings and I thought something was wrong because everyone says what a wonderful experience BFing is and I hated it. I nearly stopped. Dr. Jack Newman responded to an email I sent to him and he sent me some articles on D-MER. I still experienced the symptoms, but I found it easier to handle because I can do anything for 90 seconds.
The only treatment is to go on antidepressants. I'm not willing to do that, so I just deal with it. I'm not depressed except for during let down. I am currently taking L-Tyrosine, which is the precursor for dopamine, in the hopes that my body will be more balanced and not do this to me again.
Many women are undiagnosed with D-MER because it is very hard to see what is happening. Does anyone else have these symptoms?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Never heard of it, thanks for sharing!

I don't associate nursing with this great feeling everyone talks about, but I don't get depression either. I hope you have a better nursing experience this time around!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I have no knowledge or experience withthe topic, but I have to at least comment.

Eff. It's heartbreaking to realize there is such a quiet, difficult to treat obstacle that can completely stop some of the best practices of motherhood.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know! It's crazy what the body does sometimes. If anyone needs support, just let me know!

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
How are things now, with your toddler nursing? Do you still experience it, or has the supplement been helpful?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts