Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's first birthday is coming up in just over a week and I want to make him a birthday cake, trouble is he is allergic to dairy. I was wondering if anyone has a good dairy free cake recipe that is suitable for a 1 year old. Thanks!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I've subbed water for milk in dessert recipes with no problems. Soymilk and rice milk also work in recipes. If egg whites are a problem, you can use 2 egg yolks for each egg called for in recipes. If you can't use eggs at all, look for a vegan recipe- I'm not sure how to sub for eggs in recipes.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Crazy Chocolate Cake

1 1/2 cup flour (all purpose)
1 cup sugar (sucanat)
3 Tblsp. cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tblsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla or almond extract (or 1 Tblsp. strong coffee)
1/3 cup vegetable oil (or liquified coconut oil)
1 cup cold water

Preheat oven to 350 and grease an 8 inch square (or round) pan.
Sift dry ingredients into large bowl. Make three indentations in the dry ingredients, and pour vinegar in one, extract in second, and oil in third. Then pour the cup of cold water over the whole thing. Mix until well incorporated. Pour into the pan and bake 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

This cake is really moist and delicious. You don't taste the vinegar at all. It's great without any frosting, but if you wanted to you could put a doily over the cake and shake organic powdered sugar over it to get a really pretty pattern on top of the cake. Or you could do a merengue type icing if eggs aren't an allergy problem.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I have a recipe similar to Mountain Chick's, but it calls for some instant coffee granuals. It's delicious. The vinegar chemically reacts with the baking soda to make the cake nice and light and moist without the eggs. We don't usually ice it either. If you wanted a nice glaze you can mix vegan chocolate chips with some soy creamer. I melted about 1c of chocolate chips with 1/4c-1/2c soy creamer. Wisk it up so it's nice and smooth then pour over the cooled cake and put in the fridge until the icing is set. We did this the last time and it was great. It's hard to get out of the pan because it's made right in the pan, so I would just decorate it right in the baking dish and serve it that way. Ds has a wheat allergy too so I make mine with whole grain barley flour and you can't tell the difference between it and a cake made with all purpose flour. The barley flour is a softer grain and it's great as an all purpose substitute in all quick bread and cake recipies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts