Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! we go to a great 4 day folk festival every summer. I am having a hard time figuring out what to cook. DD and I are dairy free b/c she is allergic. We will be car camping and can make a trip to the store during the festival if nec. We can only use camp stoves no open flames.

Any suggestions?

Amy

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Just look at your normal diet and go from there. Cooking outside is not much more difficult than cooking at home. Most home recipes can be easily adapted to camping.

Or else cook the meals at home and freeze them and keep in your cooler. They will slowly thaw, and can be reheated pretty easily. They also serve the double purpose of helping keep your cooler cold.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
When we camp, I always do stir-fry for dinners. I cut up the meat for each dish and freeze it in baggies, then cut up the veggies for each dish and freeze them in baggies. Then I put the frozen packets in our cooler, and pull them out as needed to throw straight in the pan, usually half-frozen or thawed by that time. Then I just add seasoning or sauce and we eat the food in tortillas--no fork or knife needed at all, so no cleanup or trash. All the camp kitchen I have to pack is my cast-iron skillet, a potholder, and some utensil to stir.
Have a great time at the festival! Sounds fun.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
When we're lazy-camping, we eat a whole lotta peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, oatmeal with almonds (just have to boil water that way and pour it over the oatmeal, so less dishwashing), and cans o' beans. It depends on whether you want to spend time cooking and having more-fun foods, or if you just want to not-go-hungry. (Which folk festival, btw?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts