Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone recommend something here? ds has dairy allergy and i'd like to make pizza tomorrow, so i'd make his piece with maybe rice cheese or soy cheese? will that taste halfway decent? i thought about just leaving cheese out for him alltogether, but his food needs to look like ours, or else he probably won't eat it (aaah, the toddler years
)
help mucho appreciated

· Registered
2,787 Posts
Soy cheese does have a slightly different flavor and can be a little pricey. I have used the soy slices and they melt very well for grilled cheese sandwiches. Have not tried it on pizza but it's worth a shot. You could dice them up into little shreads and see if it works. Have not see rice cheese in our area, so can't advise on that one. Good luck!

· Registered
702 Posts
Cheeseless pizza can be yummy for everyone!

Start with whole wheat crust. Top with your favorite tomato based pizza sauce, baked eggplant, basil, and pinenuts.

Baked eggplant can be made by slicing the eggplant the long way, about 1/2 inch thick. Brush both sides of slices with olive oil. Lay slices flat on pan and bake at 300 until eggplant is soft.

It really is yummy. My dd loves it.

· Registered
3,158 Posts
Just a thought, if your son has an allergy to casein (the protein in cow's milk) and not just a lactose intolerance, you will want to read the labels of almond, soy or rice cheeses carefully. Most of them contain casein, which helps it melt better, but makes them not truly dairy-free.

If you want a dairy-free cheese, Vegan Gourmet is probably going to be your best bet for a soy cheese that melts fairly well. If I remember correctly, it melts best under the broiler, so you may need to turn that on for a few minutes to get it melted.

· Registered
1,209 Posts
I agree with lucky. You will probably be more satisfied by being creative with no cheeze pizzas.. :]
I love sundried tomato sauce, pesto, zuchini, baked tofu, and sauteed mushrooms on a cornmeal crust..
If you do want cheese.. try tofutti shredded cheese.. its sooo delicious. they have little frozen pizzas too..

· Registered
3,158 Posts
Umefey, I am pretty sure that tofutti is totally dairy free, but last I checked they had hydrogenated oils in their cheeses. I know that they have taken the hydrog. oils out of their non-dairy cream cheese. Have they changed their cheese recipe as well, if you know? Our local HFSs won't carry anything with hydrogenated oils & I do try to avoid them myself anyway.

· Registered
617 Posts
follow your heart soy cheese is good...it even melts!
i really like tofutti cream cheese put on top of the pizza (in teaspoon sized lumps), it goes crispy on the outside and then melts in your mouth...
both of these fill my occasional vegan cheese cravings!

· Registered
1,000 Posts
This is from The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook

Melty Nutritional Yeast Cheese

1 c. nutritional yeast flakes
3 TBS. cornstarch
1TBS white flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2-3 c. water
1 c. oil
1/2 tsp.garlic powder
2tsp. wet mustard

Gradually add water to dry ingredients in a cool pan, whisking as you add. Cook until it bubbles and gets thick for about 30 seconds. Remove from burner, and whip in mustard and oil. Use water to desired consistency.

Pour this on pizza and broil till bubbly and a bit browned.

My kids ate this for years and loved it before fake cheese was made!

Peace and Loving Prayers for our people across our little planet who are suffering Earth's changes.
Colleen

· Registered
7,294 Posts
Another vote here for Vegan Gourmet cheese (made by Follow Your Heart) with no casein- esp. the Mozarella. It does melt - grate it on the pizza and it will get hot while the pizza cooks - then pop the pizza under the broiler for a few minutes while watching it and it will melt.

We make pizzas this way all the time with a cornmeal crust and yummy veggies and sauce with cheese.

· Registered
545 Posts
I love my pizza with no cheese..yummmy..

I add all kinds of grilled veggies (of course I make these for just me..dh and the kids are cheese freaks..) I add jalapeno slices to mine and then breath of dh..ha ha.

Kids/pizza/no cheese..make it ineresting..olives (my kids love olives) a yummy pizza sauce (I make mine with paste and sauce..none of that fake junk) and spices..I may roast some cloves of garlic (my kids pop these in their mouth and go to town..) over cooked aspargus (drizzeled with olive oil & lemon pepper and broiled in the oven for 10 or so min on 450ish)..oh I can think of some other yummy stuff...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.