Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS has had a little bit of a rash for quite a while, but i didn't think much of it until a week or two ago when it got *really* red and was all over his legs and stomach and back. i thought it might be eczema, so i bought some cream and started applying it - that helped but it didn't go away. my MIL/doula suggested it could be a sensitivity to something i'm eating, so i mostly eliminated dairy for almost a week and now i am on day four of absolutely no dairy.

and, voila, it seems to be clearing up! i stopped applying the cream because i wanted to make sure it was really the elimination of dairy that was the cause, so i'm thinking it is.

but... i really like dairy!
especially cheese, i don't drink much milk and could do without that, and of course you have the normal dairy in baked goods and such. i would like to know if i do occasionally eat some dairy and it doesn't cause the rash to get worse, am i going to be causing the sensitivity to turn into an allergy? i don't want my baby to be allergic so if that means i have to give it up completely i will, but if i don't have to i'd love to eat some cheese!

and, this makes sense... human milk for human babies, no wonder dairy causes so many problems. anyone make breastmilk cheese?
it's one of those things i know in my head but haven't made it reality in my life yet.

please help, o wise women!

carrie

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just a suggestion based on what I have read--you may try goat's milk/goat cheese. THe way I have read it is that goat's babies are born around the same weight as human babies and is, therefore, more easily digested by humans. (there is more to it than that that I can't remember, but that's the gist of it). I've never had any allergic dc though, just a thought--good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why do we love cheese so much! Dairy is the devil. I love cheese so much but it is so hard on babies. try...
Hummus
Brazil nuts, pistachios, etc.
beans and rice
rice milk, rice cheese

Think Japanese food, Indian...

Yes, I know it's not cheese, but at least you'll be very slim.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Goat's milk is generally not tolerated by those w/ cow's milk sensitivities. Are you avoiding hidden dairy too? I can pm you my list if you want. I'm soy free too, but if you're not there are lots of soy options forthings. I thin Tofutti has some completely dairyfree cheese.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thepeach80
Are you avoiding hidden dairy too? I can pm you my list if you want. I'm soy free too, but if you're not there are lots of soy options forthings. I thin Tofutti has some completely dairyfree cheese.
What do you mean by hidden dairy? (forgive my ignorance) I've also been trying to avoid dairy b/c my DS has had a persistent dipe rash that creams do not help at all. I've been avoiding the obvious (I miss my yogurt!) and have been trying to avoid the less obvious, but what may I be overlooking? I am allergic to soy, so my alternatives seem slim.

·
Registered
165 Posts
welp, i've been there dear mama.
Ds1 was sensitive to dairy and had a terrible rash and some swelling after i whent on a cheese binge... i totally quit all dairy and he out grew his hypersensitivity. the key is cheese made out of almond paste, i found it @ my co-op and the consistancy was great flavor...yum.
hope everything works out

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Just a word of encouragement--I LOVE cheese, milk, any dairy product, and I live in the land of cheese. So, I was devastated when DD showed sensitivity to dairy and I had to give it up. It was horrible giving it up at first, but I noticed that after a few weeks, I completely stopped craving it--maybe the same could happen with you?

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Things to avoid when avoiding dairy. I have a list like this for soy, eggs, wheat, and kind of for peanuts too. Oh, and corn.

Dairy Derivatives:
artificial butter flavor
butter
butter fat
butter oil
buttermilk
casein (casein hydrosylate)
Caseinates (in all forms)
Cheese
Cream
Cottage cheese
Curds
Custard
Ghee
Half & Half
LactalbuminLactalbumin phosphate
Lactoferrin
Lactulose
Milk (in all forms including condensed, derivative, dry, evaporated, goat'smilk, and milk for other animals, low-fat, malted, milkfat, non-fat, powder, protein, skimmed, solids, whole).
Nougat
Naturlose (sweetener derived from whey)
Pudding
Rennet casein
Sour cream
Sour cream solids
Sour milk solids
Tagatose (sweetener derived from whey)
Whey (in all forms)
Yogurt

According to FAAN, These products DO NOT contain milk:
Calcium Lactate
Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate
Cocoa Butter
Cream of Tarter
Lactic Acid (however, lactic acid starter culture may contain milk)
Oleoresin
Sodium lactate
Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow, thanks, everyone! i am thrilled to report that after 6 days of no dairy and almost 2 weeks of very limited, his rash is completely gone on his stomach and back and it is down to dry skin on his legs that is only noticeable when you touch it
i am so glad i didn't just assume it was eczema!!!!

ok, so i've cheated a little. made some banana chocolate chip muffins (chocolate chips=milk) and i bought a muffin at whole foods the other day that had milk (or milk powder) in it. i suppose it's ok to eat a little dairy as long as i know how much i can eat without it affecting DS? or am i contributing to future allergies?

dr. sears seems to say http://askdrsears.com/html/4/t041800.asp#T041804">here</a> that some allergies are dose related so perhaps a little dairy here and there won't hurt?

i don't want to sound like i won't give up dairy if i have to, but i would like to know just how careful i need to be
thanks for your replies!

carrie

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
It's generally reccomended to give up allergens entirely as keeping the allergen in their body keeps the immune system on high alert and can prolong the symtpoms. It's show children outgrow their symptoms faster if you totally avoid. I have a long list of dairy free safe foods if you want it. There is plenty of safe chocolate out there that you can have, you just need to know where to look. You do need to avoid milk chocolate though! Going dairy free is a lifestyle now, it's not really hard at all. I make all my own sweets so I know they're safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.