Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night DH and I were in a rush trying to get things finished at the new house so we can FINALLY *actually* move in (still not moved in, yeah). As a result, we gave ds1 leftovers from the night before (which he was very happy with and there wasn't enough for all of us) and went to Subway for ourselves. Long story short, we agreed to get a "side" of black olives for ds1, not thinking (obviously) that they would be cc'd with dairy, gluten and whatever else.
That night, ds1 had leg cramps for the first time since we took him off his allergens/sensitivities- leg cramps which, I might add, every doctor I'd asked about had attributed to "growing pains".
Just thought I would share my little story. Thankfully, it only lasted one night and I talked to ds1 about it the next day (I was putting ds2 down for the night when he complained to dh about it) and he agreed that we will not be getting him a "side" of anything from anyplace like that again. He understood, when I explained it to him, why his legs had hurt and said it's not worth the pain to do that again- he's also stopped whining about not getting dairy products since then (which is nice, but I'm sad that had to happen for him to "get it"- that I'm not just "taking them away" to be mean).

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
My DS also gets "growing pains" from milk. Motrin of course didn't do anything for them, but Gripe Water does ("proving" it's food related). It'll usually get him back to sleep within about 15 minutes (instead of 3 hours of screaming during the night). After our last challenge, DS also agreed that it wasn't worth it (he's 8yo). Black olives would have seemed safe to me as well. But sorry you had to go through it. I just bought a bigger purse so I could bring more food along with me everywhere!

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
My DS also gets "growing pains" from milk. Motrin of course didn't do anything for them, but Gripe Water does ("proving" it's food related). It'll usually get him back to sleep within about 15 minutes (instead of 3 hours of screaming during the night). After our last challenge, DS also agreed that it wasn't worth it (he's 8yo). Black olives would have seemed safe to me as well. But sorry you had to go through it. I just bought a bigger purse so I could bring more food along with me everywhere!
I thought that your ds reacted with this too, Kathy, but I couldn't remember.
I'll have to try gripe water if we ever have an accidental exposure again. Pain relievers don't touch his pain either.
He wasn't really hungry or anything (and we keep fruit at the new house for the kids) since he'd just eaten, but it was what he said would make him "ok" with us getting to eat out while he just got leftovers. (I try to make things "fair" in the house; usually if we "get to" eat out, ds1 gets one of his Amy's pizzas but we're out of them so we negotiated this instead.)

·
Registered
198 Posts
are the leg cramps the only symptom/side effect your lo had?
...my daughter used to get terrible leg cramps what seemed like almost every other night. she has never had any allergy testing done but i found it so strange that my son has so many food and environmental allergies and she hasn't had any.
her leg cramps have stopped for the most part, she has only gotten them 1 or 2 times in the last year....

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momma_c View Post
are the leg cramps the only symptom/side effect your lo had?
...my daughter used to get terrible leg cramps what seemed like almost every other night. she has never had any allergy testing done but i found it so strange that my son has so many food and environmental allergies and she hasn't had any.
her leg cramps have stopped for the most part, she has only gotten them 1 or 2 times in the last year....
He had to pee a little more than usual (not as bad as it was when he was on dairy all the time), was a little more thirsty (and is still wanting to drink a fair amount- this is 2 days later) than normal and had a little bit of redness in his cheeks. He was also a little more "wired" than normal.
Bear in mind that I didn't put all of this "together" until I found out he had leg cramps that night. I just thought "He's a little more hyper than normal and he's running about so he's flushed. He drank more than normal so of course he has to pee more."
Apparently I wasn't being very observant or I'd have realized much sooner what had happened.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.