Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12370519/

Quote:
BUTEYONGERA, Uganda - A Danish artist has stirred up controversy by giving Ugandan villagers free goats, sheep and pigs - but on condition that they adopt his name.

Kristian von Hornsleth says his aim is to highlight the perils of tied aid in Africa, but his project has already been denounced by a Ugandan minister as "evil and satanic."

Hornsleth launched an exhibition in Copenhagen on Friday of the project. The 108 photos of people holding up their new "identity cards" in the red, yellow and black of Uganda's flag with the name "Hornsleth" are meant to comment on conditions Western donors attach to aid.
"Satanic" may be going a bit far...

·
Registered
729 Posts
I agree, it's not "satanic" or probably even "evil". Maybe misguided, perhaps though it might actually work to clarify a point that too many people don't get. Nothing in life is free, even when it should be.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
I think it's great.

He's helping AND making his point:

Quote:
"Africans adopting European names for gifts-that's nothing new. We've been doing that since colonial times. Why do you think I'm called George?"

Hornsleth said approaching subjects was easy.

"They said to me: 'We get a pig? Great,'" he said. "So I explained the exhibition. They said, 'Yeah, yeah, yeah, but give me the pig. We're poor."

"We don't care about his idea, the art. We care about the benefits," said David Sendulya Hornsleth, 29. "We can have a hundred new names if each brings us further out of poverty."
Officially changing a name probably seems about as important as officially adopting a religion...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts