Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really sick of this. I think I've had them forever but they never bothered me before. I guess they've gotten worse over the years too. What's really bothering me is that the left eye is worse than the right. What is that about? Is there something I can put there to help it? I don't (won't) wear makeup either so I just really need to find a way to brighten up the area under my eyes. Does anyone know what the major causes of this are? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I'm wondering the same. And for me too, I'm most bothered that they are slightly different... one is a tiny bit puffy while the other one is just dark. Nobody notices but me of course, but still.

Sometimes it's genetic. I've been trying to remember if my parents have circles, but I hadn't thought to check before.

There may be some oils one can put in the area to give an instant boost to the skin. I agree with the PP that essential fatty acids help. You can use slices of cucumber or raw potato, also people use teabags, esp green tea.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
It could be weak kidneys. you can support them with herbal tea especially this time of year. dandelion root, nettles, red raspberry, and red clover, chamomile tea. there are more but that is off the top of my head. Also I don't wear much either but recently I bought the Burts bee's tinted mousterizer and it makes me look like I get sleep, would definately even color out.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
I think allergies tend to cause that.
I was told this too but I have no other symptoms of allergies. (We're talking seasonal type allergies, right?). I live in a very high allergy area but I've lived here my whole life. My eyes don't get puffy or runny. I never have sneezing or sinus pressure. Nothing.

Yes, I am getting plenty of fats. I am also taking lots of stuff for my liver right now...dandelion root is one of them.

What's in the tinted moisturizer that makes it tinted? And what color is it tinted? I've never heard of it. Sounds interesting...if it is anything like makeup and especially if it's something that has to be washed off I probably won't use it.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemy2ds View Post
I think being a mom has something to do with that

yep. I never ever had dark circles til my first ds was born. And I spent my entire childhood and teen years with pretty bad allergies, and never had them then... Poof, by the time ds was six months there they were! I haven't heard of any thing that really works so far but my ears are perked up...

until then I say "this is my look now. Didn't you know, tired is the new black?"

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaAllNatural View Post
I was told this too but I have no other symptoms of allergies. (We're talking seasonal type allergies, right?). I live in a very high allergy area but I've lived here my whole life. My eyes don't get puffy or runny. I never have sneezing or sinus pressure. Nothing.
fyi We had my son allergy tested b/c he gets eczema in the summer as a rxn. We found out he's allergic to a # of things but has absolutely NO REACTION at all except dark circles under his eyes. Seriously, he can feast on allergic foods and you'd never know it was a probl.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, good to know. Thanks for that tidbit. Do you mind me asking what things they found he was allergic to? And how can that allergy testing be done?

Yes, the circles have definitely been worse since I had kids! Absolutely. I think the thing bugging me now is that it's almost cleared up on my right eye but the same on my left. Looks weird...

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
For me it's food allergies. We found out I'm celiac. Going off of gluten has made all the difference for me, both in the shininess and the depth of color.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
It can also be from dehydration. You can try some sort taking antioxidants too, especially if you are doing liver support. Your liver might be detoxing, which could cause skin/undereye circles. Pregnancy and nursing can be hard on the liver (from a TCM standpoint) so it's good you are doing things to support it! Try the antioxidants. You can apply them to your skin as well. Look for things with vitamin C, green tea, or just the words -antioxidant!

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
IT can be caused by thin skin under they eyes causing the veins underneath to show up more readily producing the dark purple/blue bruised color you see under eyes. THat's the genetic component I think people are talking about. Nothing to do about that though.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it must not be genetic then b/c the color is just a few shades darker than my normal skin color and it doesn't look veiny or bruised at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
It can also be from dehydration. You can try some sort taking antioxidants too, especially if you are doing liver support. Your liver might be detoxing, which could cause skin/undereye circles. Pregnancy and nursing can be hard on the liver (from a TCM standpoint) so it's good you are doing things to support it! Try the antioxidants. You can apply them to your skin as well. Look for things with vitamin C, green tea, or just the words -antioxidant!

I am actually doing lots of antioxidants as part of healing my liver. Honestly, I think my right eye looks like it got a bit better and that's probably why I'm noticing the left more. Maybe the herbs and supplements I'm doing now will end up fixing this eye problem in the end.
:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Mine are genetic. I've had them my whole life since I was a small child. I've tried everything under the sun to get rid of them. They've only gotten worse the older I get.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaAllNatural View Post

Yeah, but I recently discovered that a lack of obvious symptoms doesn't necessarily mean a lack of allergies. I found out I was allergic to milk, it was weird..I never knew I was allergic to milk nor have I ever had any noticable symptoms of having a serious food allergy
:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts