Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I love fleece because it keeps the butt dry, I just had A Bad Thought...<br><br>
I have 2 night-peeing little ones and although it's not a problem, I sometimes wonder, just wonder, if they will ever dry up at night. Over in the toddler/childhood forums, moms are cheerfully putting Pull-Ups on every night. I'm using pocket overnight undies but doing the same thing, every night. And we are just waiting for a miracle to occur, somehow they will stop peeing??<br><br>
And then I thought: if they feel dry at night, what incentive do they have to ever stop peeing at night? Do they even know they do it? I've always been told and believed that one reason CD is great is because they can tell if they are wet... So if I keep them dry and comfy with fleece liners or pockets, backed up with hemp, will they ever stop??? Would soggy sticky wet cotton yuckies be better???!!<br><br>
Maybe I should have posted this over in Toddler/Childhood but I just wondered if anyone here has ever had this same thought.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
As far as I know, peeing at night is almost totally related to the child's abilty to 'hold it' and has very little to do with any comfort factor. I know from the legion of bedwetters in my family that waking up in a cold, wet bed is really awful. None of them did it while awake and conscious. The child who awakens after peeing due to discomfort from the damp chill had no way to awaken when they peed, else they would have, does that make sense?<br><br>
I think you should keep the fleece and wait it out. Night continence age varies, some children stay dry all night from the beginning of potty awareness and some take much longer. My niece just stopped wetting the bed last year and she is 12, poor baby. I dont think making them uncomforable will help and may add a shame factor to the whole thing that you really want to avoid.<br><br>
HTH-

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I believe that the wet cotton yuckies will do the trick. We never used pull-ups with our 3 1/2 yr old dd. She went from cloth diapers, to gerber cotton training panties with the waterproof outside, to now just the gerber cotton training panties that are all cotton. We were taking her to the bathroom at around midnight/1 am, then putting her back to bed. It was a 50/50 chance that she'd wake up dry, but after a month of waking her, we decided to stop and see what happened. The child is now waking up by herself, and going potty at 2 am or so. I definately think that having a cold wet behind is motivation to not wet their pants at night.<br><br>
JMHO.<br><br>
ETA: Looks like Feebee and I are in 2 entirely different universes today LOL. I guess whatever works for you, is what you need to go with!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I'm gonna go off the deep end and say i kinda agree with both of you. My ds, when he potty trained he potty trained night time too. But I found that if I put him in a pull up or night time diaper (snugwee) he would be more lazy and pee more at night, where as if I left him without it he rarely wets the bed. But again each child is different so you have to find what works for you.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I'm a deep-ender, too. LOLOL<br>
I know for a fact that my daughter is physically incapable of staying dry all night. Her father wet the bed until he was 11 and I finally stopped for good at 7. Neither of us had the benefit of fleece and I hated waking up wet, especially since I got in a lot of trouble after the age of 5 when I did wet. I would lay in the wet to help it warm and evaporate faster in hopes that my parents would not find out. How sad is that? I would usually dream that I was sitting on the toilet and not realize I wasn't until I could feel the wet all over me and woke up. Feeling the wet and waking after the fact did not seem to help me at all.<br>
Now, I know of someone, who at an older age decided to tell himself EVERY time he went to the bathroom, to wake up! He made a daytime habit of it so that if he dreamed it, he would tell himself to wak up, also. He said that it actually worked!!<br>
Here's where I also agree with the wet factor being a deterrent....<br>
Although my dd can't stay dry, I recently found out she was wetting before falling asleep. She is afraid to go to the bathroom and when she's tired, she's lazy. So I started an incentive program with stars for every time she wakes up dry or doesn't pee when awake (I check before I go to bed). After a certain number of stars, she gets to pick out a toy at the toy store. Well, she stopped peeing when awake! She goes to the bathroom every night very late before she falls asleep for the night now! But she still wakes up wet. And is so proud of herself cuz she thinks she did everything right and must be dry. But she's not. She really wants to wake up dry! She wants those stars! But it hasn't happened yet.<br>
Hopefully that long winded reply is some help.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Study of one:<br><br>
My dc was in non-gel disposibles or Fuzzi Bunz at night. She "night trained" at around 26 months.<br><br>
My sense is that they pee at night until their bladder/sensory feedback system matures. For some it's around 2, some pre-teen.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
I think it really depends on the kid, too. My first trained easily and was dry at night before 3- I attributed that to using cloth of course, but after hearing stories think is an individual thing.<br><br>
We couldn't use any stay dry liners so they get alot of pee feedback- I think that can't hurt, but maybe won't always help. My second has been staying dry at night most but not all nights at 19 months and some days goes to the potty most of the day, and some days not. He hasn' t had fleece either...

·
Registered
946 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by feebeeglee</i><br>
I know from the legion of bedwetters in my family that waking up in a cold, wet bed is really awful.<br>
HTH- [/B]</td>
</tr></table></div>
it is awful, and my mother is still my hero. She would come and change me, never shamed me (even when I was 10) and crawling back into those nice dry sheets was as close to heaven as you can get at that age.<br><br>
Some kids can potty train early and stay dry and others dont. I also notice babies wet so differently. Some talk about a baby that is dry all night and mainly wets at one time. And others pee all night (my team)<br><br>
Cottong lined diapers would be uncomfy when they wake up but it woudnt be the end of the world and at least they would know. But just evaluate if your baby really cares at this point I guess.<br><br>
I have no potty training experience over here though LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts