Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd has had dark under eye cirlces since toddlerhood. No one has been able to tell us why...does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?<br><br>
Thank you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by Hilary</i><br><b>Dark circles under the eyes are most often indicative of allergies, or mineral deficiencies. Just depends.<br><br>
But here, the first thing I would do is put her on Platt's formula, which is a liquid mineral formula with all 28 in the right balance, and see what happened.</b></td>
</tr></table></div>
Where do I get Platt's formula?<br><br>
We have an appointment for her to see an allergist.<br><br>
Thank you!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't think dark circles necessarily indicate a health problem. I had dark circles under my eyes in childhood, to the extent other people often thought I had a black eye or bruise. But, I was healthy and without any allergies. The circles gradually disappeared as I got older. My 3 yo dd seems to have thin skin under one of her eyes which sometimes gives her the appearance of a dark circle. My loving dad is a doctor and he was never concerned.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I had dark circles under my eyes as a child and I'm pretty sure it was allergy-related. I had miserable allergies (thankfully, not asthma-type, but wicked rashes). My mom once told me that my allergies were so bad one summer the only place on my body not covered in a rash was where my diaper covered!!<br><br>
I had the rashes (less and less each year) through junior high. By the time I got into high school, they were completely gone, as were my dark circles (except when I'm tired).<br><br>
Hope the allergist appointment goes well. If it's any consolation, my allergies are completely gone now that I'm an adult.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hilary your theory makes a lot of sense to me!! Dark circles are very very common in people with cystic fibrosis, which often causes problems with digestion and absorbtion of nutrients. Some of the mamas on one of my lists have found sucess at lightening the circles by suplementing with magnesium. Magnesium is a mineral depleted by many medications as well as diarhea. (Here is a link to a good article on the importance of magnesium <a href="http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/article.asp?PageType=Article&ID=541" target="_blank">http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates...Article&ID=541</a> )<br><br>
My daughter with dark dark circles is also cronicly anemic and zinc deficient. Zinc deficiency can cause body rashes as well, which look allergic. My daughter gets a rash around her mouth and bottom when her levels are particularly low.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
It is often simply a hereditary condition. My daughter is half Ecuadorian (my husband's side) and has them--as do all the people in his family. I actually like them--it makes her look quite soulful.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
How does he sleep? This may seem like a silly or obvious question, but I ask because last year, a second grader in my class was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Her main symptom was the dark circles- though she seemed to be sleeping all night because she never left her bedroom to visit her parents', she was actually waking up hundreds of times a night for 30 seconds each, thus never getting a real good night's sleep. A pediatrician who saw her eyes suggested she spend a night in a sleep clinic and sure enough, when hooked up to those monitors, it revelad the apnea. When she had her tonsils and adenoids removed, the circles went away within 3 months.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hummm...I've had dark circles for as long as I can remember. Perhaps my perception of "dark circles" differers from the rest of you, especially in regard to post vax reactions. I've just chalked it up to being of Greek heritage.<br><br>
I don't suffer from any known allergies, etc. Could I have a vitamin / mineral deficiency? How would I find out? Rats, I thought I was 'perfectly healthy.' If something isn't working right, i want to get it corrected - naturally.<br><br>
I'd love to stop looking for a better coverup makeup for under my eyes. [i think the circles look bad to me, but never has a doctor questioned them. guess i'm just vain + being pregnant with a "turbo tot" doesn't help with getting enough sleep]

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I noctice them in my son when he has not slept enough in the last 24 hours. Once he gets enough sleep they seem to go away, so I've always attributed his to lack of sleep.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I just wanted to clarify that my allergies were a mix of food and environment. I can't remember the whole list, but I know it included ragweed, cat dander, and hamburger (which is weird, now that I think about it, we were vegetarians and I had never eaten hamburger - how in the world would they be able to tell? I haven't heard of anyone else w/a hamburger allergy).<br><br>
And also wanted to mention that the allergies never affected digestion or health - just caused the undereye circles and the rash.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I was wondering if anyone posted to Amnesiac in terms of a good US replacement for Hillary's New Zelaand's Platts formula....<br>
?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello All~<br><br>
My dd has a great deal of difficulty falling asleep & has a pretty restless sleep. But even if she has slept 10+ hours, they are still there. They are worse when extremely tired...but present all the time.<br><br>
Her allergist appt . is Oct. 9. I'll let y'all know how it goes.<br><br>
Thank you so much!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts