Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>We have always "made fun" of DS2's snore.  He sounds like Darth Vader on very heavy duty steroids!  But a couple nights this week he has been in my bed and I think it is getting worse. Like really worse. It almost sounds like he is suffocating, like the back of his throat is closing and he is forcefully pulling the air past an obstruction.  When he is awake, he can run for hours without a problem.  He doesn't have any asthma issues.  I was wondering if it could be sleep apnea but he is a skinny little guy.  I just don't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Anyone with any input, it would be sooooooooo welcomed!!!!!!!!!!</p>

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
<p>Yes, that sounds like apnea.  It isn't always weight related.  </p>

·
Registered
828 Posts
<p>Yes, it could be. I know some kids who have this issue are helped by having their adenoids removed. I would probably be a good idea to bring this up with your son's primary health care provider.</p>

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
<p>We are going through the same thing here with dd. I'm pretty sure what she has is considered apnea (she will go for several seconds without being able to inhale, until she finally erupts in a huge snort. This happens numerous times a night.). And VERY heavy snoring. (And it's not weight-related for her, either--she's 5 and not weighs in at about 35 lbs). She snored even as an infant, but it has gotten A LOT worse in the past few months (starting around July, I think). </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We are looking into a few things right now, including possible allergies (and stuffed up sinuses) as well as enlarged tonsils/adenoids. Apparently, dh had the same issue as a child and ended up needing his tonsils/adenoids removed. I've been giving her saline drops to see if that would drain her sinuses and help matters. Her sinuses do seem to be draining now, but her snoring hasn't really improved. So it may ultimately end up a tonsils/adenoids issue. Perhaps exacerbated by allergies? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, definitely see a doctor about it. We have an appt. this week ourselves. It is important to get to the bottom of it.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts