Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Yes! It was published in the late 80's IIRC and is not really promoting homeschooling, but I found what it had to say very relevant for today and what I see in my community. In fact it seems like there is even more of a swing towards early academics now.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slightly crunchy
Yes! It was published in the late 80's IIRC and is not really promoting homeschooling, but I found what it had to say very relevant for today and what I see in my community. In fact it seems like there is even more of a swing towards early academics now.
To say the least! It's gone completely wacko. Here's "A Call to Action on the Education of Young Children" - endorsed by well over 100 professional educators and researchers - and here's background information and resources related to it.

And here are comments from some of the signers.

Add to all this early education craziness the fact that recess is being eliminated in school after school, and some really serious problems are brewing.

- Lillian

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I enjoyed it and learned quite a bit. I agree it's not geared towards homeschooling but the information still applies.

Thanks for the links Lillian

·
Registered
73 Posts
and while this is slight OT- I wanted to thank Lillian J for giving the link about appropriate preschool practice. One of the signers is based in Yukon, OK, and is the executive director of Oklahoma Kids Environmental Education. My older ds (9) has talked of being an environmental scientist to protect animal habitats, and this is just down the road a bit! YAY!!

Thanks for both pieces of info. Back on topic, this is one of the reasons I am no longer teaching early childhood. Well, that and I'm hsing younger ds. No preschool for him.

Blessings,
moms222

1 - 7 of 7 Posts