Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is Davis like? Can someone describe it to me and what they like about it. Are there affordable areas nearby? I hear Davis is getting expensive. Thanks! Jani
:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I went to UCDavis and had DS1 there. It's a very family friendly town. People bike to places and there are bike lanes on most streets. We went to farmers market on Saturdays and it seemed like everyone was there. Lots of vendors/food and families on the open field. There's a crunchy food co-op that we went to. The downtown has lots of small stores. The school district has pretty good API scores.

It's really hot during the summer. The temperature reaches 110 degrees. That's the main reason we moved.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
I grew up in Davis, went to UCD, too. I LOVE it. It is getting expensive but it's a great town to raise the kiddos in, and plenty of crunchy folks (if you know where to look). Ahhh whole earth festival! And Pam Trowkonski's dance company! Fun fun fun. I miss it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Davis is very PC, earth-friendly, college town. Lots of people on bikes, lots of different shops/resteraunt to explore. It's a nice place for families, but like the previous poster said, the heat in the summer time gets to be unbearable....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
I have heard that Sacramento and Davis area have some smog problems. Is this true and do you think it is a big problem? My husband has athsma (well controlled at this point) and it is an issue. Also, how are allergies?

We moved to Texas for my husbands job and didn't realize that Central Texas is one of the absolutely worst places for allergies. For that reason alone we would move! It is miserable. Even people like me who have never had allergies develop them!
:

Thanks,
Jani

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Yes, the smog is a problem, and getting worse. I wish it weren't so. We don't live in the Valley, but in the foothills to the NE of Sac., all that smog rises up to just about exactly the level of our house and sits. The air has gotten so much worse here over the last decade. It's one of the main reasons we're planning to move away. Seasonal allergies are also a problem in the Sac/Davis area, there's usually a long season of heavy pollen and mold counts (not an issue for me, and my hubby's allergies are much less severe than they used to be, but many people have a problem with it).

FYI, you can get pollution stats by zip code at http://www.scorecard.org/

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I grew up in Woodland and Davis. I have loved it here, m,any changes though. Davis has changed dramatically in 30 years. From uberliberal to split liberal/conservative. It has an odd feel in some areas now. The downtown has a more mall-like atmosphere instead of the small shop feel it used to have.

I am 10 minutes away in Woodland. This town is growing too fast and has some problems with gangs and the like. BUT, I still am so glad I have my fmaily here. It still has the small town feel.

Davis is soooo expensive, it is not worth looking unless you are quite well-off. Woodland is getting expensive, but still affordable. Other small towns nearby are Winters and Dixon. These are still small, though a bit conservative IMHO...

Are you planning to come out soon?
Allergies are a b#@$h out here. My dh has them bad. This year has been horrendous! It is more due to all of hte dust from ag land than from smog, though...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dh is applying to a job at UC Davis so who knows if he will get. I am trying to get an idea for the places where he is applying. My family lives in Seattle so it would be nice to be as close as Davis and this may sound strange but the weather appeals to us....we are currently in 100+ degree weather in central Texas. Aside from the month or 2 of really hot weather we like the sun!

Can you tell me about commuting from smaller towns to Davis? Could my dh get to work from outlying towns in let say 30 minutes?

Thanks!
Jani

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
commute into davis from small towns?
the only smaller ones I can even think of are Dixon and Winters. 10 minute drives, cheaper houses, but no charecter.

we *love* Davis, but smog/allergy wise, I couldn't recomend it. You can usually see the smog in Sac. Allergies? it's surounded by farmland and if you have an allergy problem with plants anywhere else, it's surely worse there. Also, the farms mean pesticides and nitrates around, so don't drink the unfiltered water.

none of these would matter to me enough to outwheigh Davis' steller benefits. farmland? hey, to me that just means cheap local fruit and veggies!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How far away is West Sacramento? Is it any cheaper?
I would prefer to live in Davis, it sounds great!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
W sac would also be just about 10 minutes. The westmost part is yucky, but there's lots of new housing to the south and north a little bit (Natomas along 80 and all the southport divisions)... in those nicer homes, prices rival davis, but you get something bigger and newer, in sprawl.

of course, check realtor.com for house examples, craigslist.com for rents, maps.google.com for distances

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Anyone looking at West Sac, don't neglect to notice the flood danger issue. Many of those new developments are in flood plains, and the levees in the Sacramento area are NOT in good shape. Personally, I would not move into one of those areas. Now even some officials (planning commission? don't remember for sure, heard it on the news) are admitting some of those developments should not have been allowed, that the studies showing it was safe were flawed (being paid for by the developers, that's such a big surprise - duh). There are two kinds of levees - those that have failed, and those that will fail. I'm just full of good news, aren't I? Bad air, questionable levees...let's see what else I can come up with. Oh yeah, traffic. Don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry during regular commute hours if you have to use the freeways or other commonly used roads.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,
I recently saw a PBS special about the building on flood plains in CA. Isn't that just so strange that they would build there? I guess when money is involved a lot of these major mistakes are made. I am glad you mentioned that about West Sac!
:
-Jan

·
Registered
123 Posts
As far as air quality is concerned. Davis gets some of the best air in all of the Central Valley where as Auburn (before the mountains) is the worst.

I think Woodland or part of West Sac are good. You really should research the areas, look at crime, schools, etc (even if you don't have school aged children or plan to homeschool). It will give you an idea about who your neighbors are.

I'm less fond of Dixon and Vacaville . . . but I know some people like it there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for the delay!
Do you think you can live in Sacramento somewhere and commute to Davis (UC campus) in 30 minutes or less?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
yeah, you can. the traffic flows into Sacramento, so depending on which side of Sac you lived on, at commute hours you'd have the reverse way, which is fine.

Living in Davis, I could get to downtown Sacrmento (capitol building area) in 10 or 15 minutes. Without traffic, Roseville and Folsom took 40. but you couldn't live on those sides, because you'd have the commute INTO Sac before coming OUT of it for Davis. Well, assuming you have standard work hours. I'm just throwing out those towns because they both took exactly 40 minutes, one more east, one more north, and by that maybe you can judge times to all the in between places.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Davis looks so pretty! Is it a nice area. I know that San Fran and Lake Tahoe is nearby. And I think Northern Cali/ Southern Oregon are just gorgeous!

I know it can get hot. But I am living in Texas right now so I actually am kind of used to that. But I am curious, could someone describe the weather a little more throughout the year?

Thanks,
J

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
so, here's the averages and records graph, and percipitation
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recre...bottomnav_golf
the summer average highs look low to me- I don't see how they could average low 90s when a dozen are about 110 every year, and plenty more are at 100. I just can't think of any under-90 highs to bring the average down. but whatever

if you're from texas, you'll proabbly apreciate the heat is without humidity

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cchrissyy
the summer average highs look low to me- I don't see how they could average low 90s when a dozen are about 110 every year, and plenty more are at 100. I just can't think of any under-90 highs to bring the average down. but whatever

if you're from texas, you'll proabbly apreciate the heat is without humidity

Maybe it's because of the weather at this time of year, it's still officially summer until the third week of Sept, but the high temps tend to drop into the 80s a lot during this month. That might be offsetting the 110 days in July and August.

Jani, the seasons in this whole greater Sacramento area generally are something like this:

Winter - mild and wet, only occasionally freezes or snows (sometimes there's a cold snap, which could mean high 20s at night, I can't recall there ever being a day during my life when it stayed below freezing throughout the daylight hours though), it can rain for weeks on end or be foggy for days in the valley, warm enough that the grass starts to green up usually in Nov. and keeps growing all winter. Mudslides in hilly areas and flooding in low-lying areas can be problems.

Spring - breathtaking! sometimes it can be very rainy and dreary until April, but the explosion of greenery and flowers is fantastic, last frost is usually mid-Feb. to mid-March, spring always seems too short to me in this region, it's so beautiful.

Summer - hot (90s at least, over 100 not unusual at all) and usually dry (although we had some brutally humid hot days earlier this summer), no rain, nights can be hot if there's no delta breeze.

Autumn - still many warm days with cooler nights, great outdoor weather in Sept. and Oct. before the rain comes, typically very comfortable, rain usually starts sometime in Oct. or Nov., first frost usually after Thanksgiving.

This is all from my experience, I've lived in the general area most of my life (not Davis specifically). I rather like the weather around here, but have become more impatient with the summer heat and dust the last few years (maybe I'm just getting old and cranky).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts