1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*************X-Posted in Breastfeeding forum as well*********

Day 2- no stool. should I worry?
Hey mamas,

My son was born on Monday April 13. He had a lot of pees and poops initially. He's been a sleepy one, but BFing on a regular basis (at least every 3 hours. more like 2). When he does, it was for 10-20 mins. Occasionally he would only nurse for 10 mins. and fall asleep, but I didn't push it too much.

Now (Day 2) he's clearly hungry. I hear his stomach growling, and he's nursing a lot more. I know my milk will come in, don't need to supplement, all that stuff. But I'm concerned that he hasn't pooped at all today. Should I be?

It makes sense that there is not a lot for him to be voiding right now, but its OK right?

My discharge paperwork from the hospital says I should expect between 1-10 poops a day, occasionally skipping a day. I take him to the pediatrician tomorrow. Should I just consider this a "skipped day"? Dr. Sears says its rare for them to skip days until 2 months or more.

Don't want to be a nervous nelly, but DD didn't do this. Don't want to ignore it if it needs attention.

Please share any thoughts/insights you may have so I can sleep a bit tonight

XOXO
B

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi,

First of all congrats on the new baby!
:

From my own experience, my DD would go 7 to 10 days without pooping. I don't remember the exact number of days but she would regularly go that amount when she was a newborn and up through about 5 or 6 months I think. I had read that that was totally normal and that some breastfed babies can go that long. It's something about breast milk being so digestible that there's not a lot of waste to it. I sure enjoyed not having to change her poop that often too. When she would go it would be that breastfed baby explosive poop. It wasn't hard or anything so I knew she wasn't constipated.

I think the most important thing is that your baby is wetting diapers. As long as you're getting wet diapers you know that the baby's not dehydrated. I don't remember the exact amount of wet diapers but I think it is a wet diaper per day of age they are up through the first week...or something like that? Does anyone else remember?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Wet diapers are most important. Baby should have 1 HEAVY wet for each 24 hours of life (until day 6, when you can expect 6 heavy wet diapers/24 hours every day.) So at 2 days old, you should expect 2 HEAVY wet diapers in 24 hours. You really should be getting meconium poops as well (1 per day of life until you get at least 3-4 a day) and the meconium should be gone by day 5.

But if baby's pees are good then you know he isn't dehydrated. Does he have a good latch? Colostrum will fill up his little tummy if he is able to transfer it from your breast. Are you able to call LLL or an LC to check on his latch?

I think with good pees I would be reassured, but 3 days and no poop in a newborn and I'd be wanting to see a breastfeeding expert to make sure that milk transfer was good, and also I would probably start to hand express to encourage my milk to come in faster and maybe spoon feed baby some colostrum after each breastfeedng session.

But your milk will probably come in tomorrow and all your worry will be gone

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
While exclusively breastfed, my son would sometimes go a week or more without pooping (I think the longest was 11 days.) There isn't a lot of waste with breast milk. This change probably didn't start until around 4-6 weeks; before that, he pooped regularly. I did have low milk supply and think it probably contributed a little - there just isn't a lot of waste with breast milk. Watch closely for wet diapers. As long as those are coming regularly, things should be ok; but watch closely.

I ended up to renting a baby scale and did some pre and post feeding weighs to confirm low supply. I saw a LC, found out I have IGT and ended up supplementing with some donor milk from a milk bank starting around three months. It was, overall, a rather stressful period but we made it through and are still nursing now at age 2.

I'd up the nursing frequency - hop in bed and nurse around the clock - he might be a sleepy babe.
No one told me that it was normal for my son to want to nurse around the clock or that he wouldn't want to be put down for six weeks.
Hang in there!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
My DD went 7 days without pooping when she was new. She got the meconium out and then nothing for a week. I have low supply but we started supplementing with formula and she still didn't go for another 4 days so it definitely wasn't from not getting enough food. Her doctor wasn't concerned...he just said she was using everything and didn't have waste (still had plenty of wets). I know how unnerving it can be but unless it goes beyond a week I wouldn't be too concerned (easier said than done, right?). For what it's worth, my daughter still (at almost 3 mos) only goes 1x/day, sometimes 1x every other day. But she's not constipated bc it's not hard. A baby isn't considered constipated unless their poop is hard when it finally does come out.

Congratulations on your new little one!

Cindy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.