Mothering Forum banner

daycare cough and snot?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  lauren 
#1 ·
My 2yo started daycare about 6 weeks ago. Now he always seems to have this wet nasty cough or a runny nose! Both DH and I have seasonal allergies, and it looks like Evan will have them too. However, he's had more snot and cough in 6 weeks then he's ever had in two years! I'm sure there are colds and viruses always going around these kids. Is there anything preventive I can do to help my son avoid feeling cruddy all the dang time? Obvioulsy I don't want to run him to the ped for antibiotics he may or may not need, and I hate giving him OTC meds for the symptoms since they usually make him feel bad in other ways -- tired, lethargic and cranky.

How about it mammas? Any suggestions?

#2 ·
IMO, if its your child's first time in a group setting, its par for the course. If it happens at 2 in dc, or at 4 or 5 in school, your child is getting exposed for the first time to all kinds of new viruses and bugs. It takes time for the immune system to cope. Honestly, our first winter in daycare was like having the black plague in our house. The age of the kids is part of it too. There were always more bugs going around in the toddler room because kids were more likely to lick things, put their fingers in everything, touch everything. As they get older, there is a bit less of that, also they are learning to wash their own hands more thoroughly, etc.

Last winter we did some preventative homeopathics for our DD on our naturopath's recommendation, and she had like 2 minor colds all winter.

#3 ·
it's partly because it is autumn (at least where i am)...

ds started daycare in the spring - he STARTED daycare with an ear infection.

we were fine all summer.... lately he's been spening more time in the next classroom, though he isn't yet ready to be moved into it yet on a permanent basis. those kids are a real germy bunch, compared to the infants. ds has had 3 colds in the past month, with this last one ending in bronchitis

have you tried mega-dosing with vitamin C? there's a lot of info about vitamin C (sodium ascorbate) on the vaccinations forum that you might be able to use for combatting the common cold.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by amygoforth
Is there anything preventive I can do to help my son avoid feeling cruddy all the dang time?
Encourage frequent and through hand washing. Make sure the daycare is making sure he washes his hands frequently, and teach good habits at home.

We also do an immediate "home from daycare" handwashing.

#5 ·
We have gone through 5-6 colds in the last 2 months with my 10 mo. old. This happened for my older children when they were in day care also. I figure each cold that the child fights is one less (there are only 200 or so cold viruses and I think you only get each one once) they have to get later. At 2 I would consider using echinacea and vit C and/or zinc. These all come in child friendly even chewable forms now.

Good luck. It is very frustrating!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.