Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story...wostK/wS9I8%3D

Quote:
"It wasn't the daycare's fault. I mean, it was just the person who did it. It wasn't the whole daycare," Nicole Toner, the mother of the 4 month old infant allegedly involved said.
Part of me understands what she means by this. But isnt the owner/operatore of the daycare ultimatly responsable for the welfare of the children there? This isnt the first incident either tho they couldnt prove the other complant.

I just feel sorry for the children there.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
What I don't get is the original story at the end of the article. The mom who said 'it's just one thing after another." and "the day care should be shut down". Saying she made complaints about them which weren't followed up......and she still took her 11 month old there? WTF???

I guess I also don't get why parents would believe that if their children give the workers a hug then of course everything must be alright - despite the evidnece that children were being locked in darkned rooms with pacifiers in their mouths????

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I worked in daycare for years, I was even the director at one. I've seen good and bad. Stories like this always make me wonder what we don't know. Like, ho wmany people were aware of it going on? How aware was the owner? It is true you can have one bad worker, but its also possible to have it affect the whole center if the owner is turning her back on it. It makes her just as guilty!

Many know of my ordeal with my oldest. She was dropped on her head at a daycare center that I worked at. (resulting in a fractured skull) They covered it up. The owner of the center covered for the teacher who did it and I couldn't prove otherwise, even though I know in my heart what happened. There were many GOOD employees there, but that incident and how the owner backed her up turned the whole place bad IMO. When they were originally there to investigate the owner pulled the teacher out to run errands with her. The state, instead, investigated me and refused to go back to the center to do more digging. They said that because I pulled my daughter from the center it was no longer a safety issue. The teacher hit-and-run a 3 year old with her SUV 3 months later and the owner continued to support her. How sick is that?!

But then, I've worked at other places where one employee acts inapropriately and they are fired. I wouldn't hold it against the entire center if matters are handled appropriately in regaurds to the incident. KWIM?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
I guess I also don't get why parents would believe that if their children give the workers a hug then of course everything must be alright - despite the evidnece that children were being locked in darkned rooms with pacifiers in their mouths????
Me, either.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Denial, denial, denial.

I think there is some rationalisation going on here by the parents. Well, little so-and-so SEEMS fine, it must be okay then, it can't be that bad, etc.

Yup.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristine233 View Post
I worked in daycare for years, I was even the director at one. I've seen good and bad. Stories like this always make me wonder what we don't know. Like, ho wmany people were aware of it going on? How aware was the owner? It is true you can have one bad worker, but its also possible to have it affect the whole center if the owner is turning her back on it. It makes her just as guilty!

Many know of my ordeal with my oldest. She was dropped on her head at a daycare center that I worked at. (resulting in a fractured skull) They covered it up. The owner of the center covered for the teacher who did it and I couldn't prove otherwise, even though I know in my heart what happened. There were many GOOD employees there, but that incident and how the owner backed her up turned the whole place bad IMO. When they were originally there to investigate the owner pulled the teacher out to run errands with her. The state, instead, investigated me and refused to go back to the center to do more digging. They said that because I pulled my daughter from the center it was no longer a safety issue. The teacher hit-and-run a 3 year old with her SUV 3 months later and the owner continued to support her. How sick is that?!

But then, I've worked at other places where one employee acts inapropriately and they are fired. I wouldn't hold it against the entire center if matters are handled appropriately in regaurds to the incident. KWIM?

Did you ever send your story to a magazine, or was this in the news? I know I've heard this before.
:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.