Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... I hope I am posting this is the right place.

I run a home daycare right now, in my own home.

My best friend just graduated from college and she and I were talking and we would really love to do this daycare thing together. However, neither one of us wants to use our own homes (because I only watch 2 kids, together we could watch up to 8 and thats A LOT in our own homes)

We were thinking about renting a small house and doing it there, or an office space... and since you are all working mamas I thought I would ask you?

Where would you feel more comfortable taking your children?? To a house... or to an office?

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
A house!

I know a couple mamas who have rented a house for their daycares and it just seemed better. First, it would be really hard to find office space that will allow children. Second, it would be in a busier area and outdoor play would be inherently more dangerous. Third, offices often have poor ventilation, toxic cleaning products in the air and in the restrooms (even if you had your own restrooms and did your own cleaning it would still be circulated in the air, unless you had a free-standing building.

An office would just require a ton of renovation to make it not horrible. And even then, to me, a home daycare is nicer than a center. And in a non-home building it would be much more like a center.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Definitely a house! I think a house will give you more options - you can find one near a park, which might be hard with office space. You can find one with a great yard and buy your own playground equipment for outdoor activities. A house will be easier for you to set up in an appropriate manner, with comfortable sleeping areas and a kitchen for preparing snacks/lunch. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'd like a house unless the office was right near mine! (If there is a very large business park near you, that might be a great place to find an office setting daycare building!)
Suzy

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
A house would be preferable, but I'd be concerned about the liability/insurance aspect, particularly since it will be neither of yours permanent residence. Some neighborhood associations or city regulations might prohibit this as well since it would be considered a business venture in a residential area. The rules just tend to change when it's no one's permanent address and I want to make sure you find out all the ins and outs of it before jumping in.

But if you find a way to make it all work, I think a house would be better than office space!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think it would TOTALLY depend on the house.

Forexample.

Would it be a one story or two story house? If 2 story, how would you plan alternate fire exits? What about lead paint in older houses? What about parking options for parents picking up the children? How would rent be diffrent on the structure? Can you use a rental home for a comerical bussines? There are some ordinces against this.

I think both would work, but it would totally depend on the individual structure.

I would consult with your local licensing board. For example, in my state, you can have 8 kids (2 must be part time) in your own home. You can have, I am guessing a bazillion if you have more than 1 person.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think it would depend on what the primary age of the kids happened to be. The idea of having a daycare in my office park sounds GREAT for infant care. However, once they are mobile and exploring, a yard would sound much better to me.

If you are planning to cover a large range of ages, I would say house.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I'm kind of torn.
I actually thought about opening a daycare in my office building when I was faced with going back to work. I think, for infants, proximity is the #1 most important thing (I would not have been able to bf for 14 months if DS wasn't 5 minutes away from me during the day)
but...... the pps have a good point about having the "yard" benefit of a house. Of course, it rains 9 months out of the year here, so that benefit is rather short-lived for us

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
If you're planning to be licensed, you're probably required to have some kind of outdoor play area. At least in NC you would be. I have seen child care centers in strip malls and they manage to make it work somehow, like having the end unit of the building and using any adjoining grassy space.

I think a house would be easier, so long as zoning issues didn't restrict your doing it.

That said, my son's pre-school is in a free-standing building that is in a commercial area. It's not a house, but it's not your typical office building either. It has a more than adequate parking lot, and plenty of green space for the kids' play area. Maybe that is the kind of space you need to look for.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I do home daycare too right now. I watch 5 full time (including my one ds) and one part time for a total of 6 kids 3 days a week (5 kids the other two days). I live in a 2 bedroom 2 bath house with a walk out lower level. The lower level is where I do "daycare" I have it set up kind of like a center with "centers" (house area, book area, block area etc) We play down there most of the day but some upstairs for breakfast and lunch and any kitchen projects. I love having it set up like this because the mess stays downstaris. They have a HUGE playroom that holds a TON of toys (all organized in centers) and they very rarely get bored. The lower level walks out to a driveway for riding trikes around and then a pretty big yard for running around, "mowing the lawn" picking flowers and so on... If I move ever (We rent here) I will definately pick out a house similair in structure to this one with an entire "level" of the house dedicated to daycare.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts