Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going to do a 3 day weekend in July and I am looking for any tips of fun and unusual things to do with little ones. We're definitely doing the air and space museum, natural history and zoo.<br>
We're staying at the capitol hill hyatt, should we drive in and leave our car there, or should we park at a metro station in MD and ride in? Is the metro good for getting around up and down the mall when we're too tiredto walk? Is there other public trans?<br>
tia

·
Registered
150 Posts
It is HOT in July. Ridiculously hot. I even got heat stroke when I was pregnant. You might want to do the zoo only in the early morning and plan the indoor activities for the afternoon. The museums on the mall are for the most part within walking distance. The Metro itself is not really good for getting aroung the mall; only two stops at Smithsonian and Federal Triangle. To see the Lincoln, Washington, etc monuments is an additional walk. The American Indian Museum was kind of a bust IMO. The Behring Museum is closed, but that is not the one with the dinosaurs and the Hope diamond. You should check out metroopensdoors dot com for a map of the Metro and info on the bus lines. You have two choices in bus lines: the Metrobus and the Circulator. The Circulator runs from Union Station to Downtown to Georgetown. Probably more what you would need. And there is also a carousel on the mall near the Smithsonian castle. I would drive my car in rather than leave it at a park and ride overnight personally.

·
Registered
340 Posts
yep, id feel safer leaving my car at the hotel rather then at a metro overnight.<br><br>
you cant use the metro to get around the mall or that general area...its all basically the same stop. without a question bring strollers..for both kids! it is a handful of walking, but not too bad...all the museums are up and downthe mall and you can walk down to the tidal basin and go paddle boating which is lots of fun. theres the carousel on the mall. my kids love to have picnics on the mall since theres always rom to run around. we also love to fly a kite there. check out the natural history museum, too

·
Registered
124 Posts
<a href="http://www.tourmobile.com/" target="_blank">http://www.tourmobile.com/</a> - you can get off and back on all day, it goes to lots of the places you'll want to go

1 - 5 of 5 Posts