Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister-in-law had her 3rd baby 5 days ago via c-section. With her 2nd child she was visited by DCFS in the hospital because she refused vaccines and other hospital procedures. This time she was careful to pick a pediatrician that would support her choices. Thus she had minimal problems in the hospital.

This morning DCFS came to her home trying to get in and saying they had to see the baby and would be coming for home visits. She did not let him in. But he is awaiting her call for home visits.

The 2nd child's case was dropped quickly due to the fact that it was unfounded and never should have been reported. She did nothing against the law either time.

She is postpartum and very upset. They threatened her and she is scared, due to their power. She knows they have no rights, but they can make life tough.

I need help getting a letter together for the Attorney General and the hospital. She has no energy to do this and emotionally she is a mess.

Please help.

Audy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
The fact is, our legal system is based upon a lawyer or no lawyer status. The best thing your sis can do now is contact a good one. I don't know your area, so I can't really recommend anything, but have her hire a lawyer. Legal matters' outcomes have a lot more to do with knowing the ins and outs of the law and system than they do with whether or not something wrong has been done. If she can possibly afford it, have her get one, and if not, investigate legal aid. That will also probably help to alleviate her anxiety over this whole situation, because the lawyer will be able to give her the most information, as well as take the matter somewhat out of her hands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,190 Posts
GET A LAWYER.

This is more important than anything else right now.

GET A LAWYER.

If she can't afford one, there are pro-bono and low-cost resources/attorneys who might be willing to help her. If this is the case, PM me and I will try to locate some contact numbers for her.

The pp is absolutely right. Successfully navigating the system has everything to do with having a lawyer and very little to do with who is really right or wrong, except in the most egregious circumstances.

Hope everything turns out okay.

Julia
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,466 Posts
She doesn't have to let them in for home visits or anything like that, nor does she have to call them. I would NOT contact them if I were her, and she needs to get a lawyer immediately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Healthy Skeptic View Post
I need help getting a letter together for the Attorney General and the hospital. She has no energy to do this and emotionally she is a mess.

Please help.

Audy
I agree with previous posters that she needs to contact a lawyer. I also can help her with that if you want to PM me -- I know a very good lawyer in the Chicago area who does a TON of family law, and who was actually a DCFS investigator before he went to law school....

Valerie
Illinois
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
Former DCFS caseworker here....

1) get the best damn lawyer around.
2) You do not have to let them in unless they have a warrant. Ask to see it. If there is not a signture/stamp it likely is not valid.
3) DCFS, here in Utah, can go and visit any children at school or day care, without parental permission. Do any of the older kids go to school?
4) WHY is DCFS concerned? Vaccines are not a concern here so is that the only reason? Are you sure that is the only reason? Here I had parents decline vax for their children that came into foster care and we respected that request.
5) Everyone has a supervisor. Talk to the supervisor. See if there is an ombusdman to help intervene.

Yes the worker "has" to see the child in question to fulfill federal policy, so they will do their best to talk your way into the home. You as a citizen do not have to cooperate unless ordered to by a court. Tell the worker you are not cooperating and they need to get a document exception. If they do let the worker see the baby, do it at the DCFS office or their lawyers office not their home. Tape every phone call. If they are with the worker, bring someone along and have them video.

Her job is to protect her children, not to make the workers job easy. PM me if any more questions.

After close to 5 years here in Utah in child welfare, I cannot imagine a state interfearing with a family because of vax. Are their caseloads not high already because of meth? Really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Healthy Skeptic View Post
My sister-in-law had her 3rd baby 5 days ago via c-section. With her 2nd child she was visited by DCFS in the hospital because she refused vaccines and other hospital procedures. This time she was careful to pick a pediatrician that would support her choices. Thus she had minimal problems in the hospital.

This morning DCFS came to her home trying to get in and saying they had to see the baby and would be coming for home visits. She did not let him in. But he is awaiting her call for home visits.

The 2nd child's case was dropped quickly due to the fact that it was unfounded and never should have been reported. She did nothing against the law either time.

She is postpartum and very upset. They threatened her and she is scared, due to their power. She knows they have no rights, but they can make life tough.

I need help getting a letter together for the Attorney General and the hospital. She has no energy to do this and emotionally she is a mess.

Please help.

Audy
She should not open her home or do home visits without a warrant. To do so is opening up a can of worms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Healthy Skeptic View Post
She called a laywer and he is calling DCSF on her behalf.
Good to hear. I'll keep her in my thoughts. Let us know what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,005 Posts
where is that awesome site that moms on here posted, about Know Your Rights as a Parent??

It is an amazing lists of rights that parents have, and should know frontwards and backwards...

anybody have the link? I cant find it
:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,491 Posts
Know your rights- http://familyrightsassociation.com/c...parents_guide/

First and most importantly- DO NOT let them into your home or talk to them without a warrant. They try and coerce people into thinking that they have no choice and must let them in for home visits, etc when really they are just wanting to poke their noses around. They cannot get a warrant simply because a parent declines vaccinations and other newborn procedures. They may have some issues with the PKU test because it is mandated in many states and there are no exemptions that I know of. No matter what demand that they get a warrant.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,640 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveChild421 View Post
Know your rights- http://familyrightsassociation.com/c...parents_guide/

First and most importantly- DO NOT let them into your home or talk to them without a warrant. They try and coerce people into thinking that they have no choice and must let them in for home visits, etc when really they are just wanting to poke their noses around. They cannot get a warrant simply because a parent declines vaccinations and other newborn procedures. They may have some issues with the PKU test because it is mandated in many states and there are no exemptions that I know of. No matter what demand that they get a warrant.
In MN there is a decline sheet... lemmie go look it up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,640 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveChild421 View Post
Know your rights- http://familyrightsassociation.com/c...parents_guide/

First and most importantly- DO NOT let them into your home or talk to them without a warrant. They try and coerce people into thinking that they have no choice and must let them in for home visits, etc when really they are just wanting to poke their noses around. They cannot get a warrant simply because a parent declines vaccinations and other newborn procedures. They may have some issues with the PKU test because it is mandated in many states and there are no exemptions that I know of. No matter what demand that they get a warrant.
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/fh/mcshn/nbshome.htm

When I was preggo with DD this took me a full 5 days scouring the site to find anything in regards to exemptions. It was very well hidden almost 3 yrs ago.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top