Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - my DD who is 25 mos recently started bruising. She has many small bruises on her arms and several more on her legs.
She has not acquired any new skills / is not practicing any new skills that I could attibute to bruising (through falling down, for instance).

About a month ago I switched us from organic store-bought milk (Vit. A &D added) to a local dairy's milk (no A or D in her whole milk - no D in my skim milk). I wonder if that could be the cause - anyone have any thoughts?

I did a Search and read the following post http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...light=bruis%2A but Vit. D doesn't seem to be a contributing factor.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Low platelets can cause bruising. That would be identified by a blood test that specifically checks for it.

My son has had short periods of excessive bruising due to low platelet levels, though in his case it was a side effect of his antiseizure medication.

Good luck,
Lori

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
When I was in college, I used to get HUGE bruises--esp. on my legs. They were the size of my open hand. I don't tend to go to the doctor, but I finally did. He was such an ass. He said--I don't know, heh heh did your boyfriend hit you or something? That was the diagnosis. Ick. First of all, what a thing to joke about, and secondly, I never did find out what was wrong. It continued for years, and once in a great while, will pop up again, though I haven't noticed it for a long while.

Good luck with your daughter!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Off Topic

I HATE doctors like that!! RRROAARR! I had a middle aged man tell me to take a walk in the mall in order to solve postpartum mood problems. He also said It is no wonder I feel that way I have two small kids.

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
Do check for anemia. But if the bruising is substantial and without reasonable explanation, you should have a doctor check her sooner rather than later, as (yes, I'm the gloom and doom person of the Health and Healing board) leukemia could be one possible explanation.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
It can be a deficiency of Vitamin C, especially bioflavinoids.

Please take care of this. You could be accused by your doctor or an ER doctor or teacher of child abuse and an investigation could be launched against you.

No one needs this kind of aggravation in their lives.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.