Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of the blue my dd tells me last night she would like to return to homeschooling.She says she is not happy with ps anymore,and gave some examples of things that bother her
cher moves ahead before she is ready, she prefers group/partner work over the common solo work,have to put a folder up to *block* your paper from neighboring onlookers,not enough time for bathroom breaks,teacher takes away recess to do work,art teacher gets frustrated if you do something other than what he says on pictures.....

As for the classmates,one of the main reasons she wanted to be in school, she talks with some kids,but not much.I guess she is just one of those types that has a harder time making friends. I don't know if the few kids she mentioned will even want to get together once she is out of ps.

She learns well,but it seems at a slower pace than the others.She got good grades on her interim report.If she falls behind,or does not finish something she gets very upset. She wants more time to do things.Wants the teacher to explain things(or read them),but I guess at this point the teacher expects them to be able to do it themselves.

I don't know if I should pull her.I worry she would change her mind after a few weeks.I have already told her she could not go back once she gets pulled for the year.She could next year,but the reasons for leaving this year might be compounded next year .We talked about the reasons she left hsing in the first place,and what, if anything, we could do to make changes.

I don't even know how to deal with dh and family,because they were happy she went to ps.

Bottom line is I want her to be happy,and if we can't figure out ways to make ps better then she should come back home. She has the next few days off and I told her we could get back into the hs routine to see if we can make hsing better.

Should I wait a few more weeks or just go ahead and pull her? Has anyone had a child want to go,and then decide ps isn't all they expected?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have not experienced this exact thing but I will say that my sister hs'd her girls until high school and then they went to ps and were happy about it. they both became cheerleaders and were very excited to go to school.

one did very well but the other one had trouble academically and ended up failing 9th grade.
she ended up hs'ing again for her last two yrs of high school.

my sister always thought she had learning issues but she was never tested because it was not necessary since my sister made allowances and gave her the extra attention she needed.

although this is not your situation I do think that trying ps isn't bad, but you do find out if it works for you or not and then you have to go from there.

the only thing I thought about your situation was that your dd wanted to go to ps but she didn't know what that was really like - she wants to hs again but she really does know what that is like and what to expect so maybe this is different.

I would say that there will be no switching back again if she decides hs is not what she remembered

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have children who are 2.5 and 11 months, so I don't speak from direct experience. However, I think that in your shoes, I would honor my child's choice to leave school. I think that it is important to let children make decisions for themselves to the extent possible. In addition, what is the harm that could result from honoring her decision? It seems that the worst case is that she decides school is best after all and has to wait until next year to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts