Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took the kids to see Santa the other night and my daughter told him she wanted a WowWee cub. Those things are about $60. She is convinced that Santa is going to get it for her.

I didn't even want my kids to believe in Santa. I had a few conversations with dd when she was 3 & 4, explaining Santa was pretend like the books we read. She did not believe me. I pulled wrapping paper out last year to wrap some gifts and she asked me "Why do you need that, when Santa brings all the gifts?' I decided it wasn't worth telling her he wasn't real when she was enjoying believing in him so much.

So now I am in a situation where I do not intend to buy what she told Santa she wanted.

How do I soften this for her? I don't want her extremely dissapointed on Christmas Day. She isn't going to forget because she has been talking about this cub for a couple weeks.

Beating myself up right now for letting her watch commercial tv....

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
im not sure if this is the same thing, but when my kids decided that they wanted a Wii for xmas I just told them that Santa doesnt bring things like that........

Ive said.. "he cant make that in his workshop" before....

Or, "I dont know, I think santa would have to buy that and that is expensive, you may need to come up with something that his elves can make"

for whatever reason, my kids bought into the whole... santa doesnt bring things like the Wii...........

My issue in particular is that if the kids do get an expensive gift, htey need to respect it for what its worth. If santa brings it, and it gets broken, well nobody will be upset....etcc...... so expensive items always come from mom and dad or grammy and grampa... so that we can talk about being careful with things and taking care of them because they cost a lot of money , etc....

and it avoids the whole, well santa can bring anything, card.

ETA: you could also say that Santa's elves cant make everything, so maybe she should come up with some other ideas just in case he cant find a cub for her.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
"That's not something Santa can make in his workshop, and he can't afford to spend that much on every child in the world. I'm sure he'll get you something nice, though."

My daughter asked Santa for a wii. I used the above. We're not going to be buying a wii in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
I found that my kids never complained about what they actually got from Santa. How can you complain about a gift? I'd not worry about it. Maybe grandma will come through?
THis and I've also told DD I got an email from santa he said there will be a $50 limit on Christmas presents this year and I should go through her "wish" list with her (thats has like 200 things on it) and mark the top three with in his budget.

Deanna

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by octobermom View Post
THis and I've also told DD I got an email from santa he said there will be a $50 limit on Christmas presents this year and I should go through her "wish" list with her (thats has like 200 things on it) and mark the top three with in his budget.

Deanna
Brilliant!

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
If there are other things she really loves and you can afford then I suggest talking to her about those things and stearing her towards wanting those things. You could also ask her to write a list of several possible things she wants with you because Santa needs a list to choose from so kids can be surprised.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
You can do a few things. One is let her get the reality right now and learn that Santa isn't real, just a fun game and symbol of the spirit of Christmas.
Tell her Santa doesn't always bring exactly what you ask for (I never knew he was supposed to, I just thought it was a wish list).
Or perhaps Santa only brings things he can make in his workshop, you know like traditional Santa.

We do the last one. Our oldest picked up on Santa and writes him letters but she thinks that he only brings things that are handmade. This year they are getting a HABA wood farm set which fits int the category of homemade.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
One year when I was a child I had requested a stuffed deer from Santa. My parents couldn't find one I guess, because on Christmas morning I found a stuffed donkey and a note from Santa saying many, many kids had asked for a stuffed deer and no one had asked for a stuffed donkey, which made this donkey really sad. Santa's letter said he knew I would love this donkey and give it a good home. I was totally thrilled to get a letter from Santa, and not disappointed at all. The donkey became one of my favorite stuffed animals. I've always remembered that.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
DD's first christmas list this year included a laptop, wii, ipod and cell phone. (These are the things her friends have
)

I was like, "uh honey that stuff is all way too expenive." and of course she said, "it's okay mom, I'm asking santa for these so you and dad don't have to pay for it"

DH told her, "think of how many children santa needs to buy or make gifts for. How will he be able to get everyone something if he brings one little girl so many things?"

i was totally expecting her to change it to say one of the above, like a wii (which is silly because we are tv-free) BUT she said what she really wanted most was a Camp Rock shirt and a pair of jeans. (again, funny cause I asked her if she had ever seen that show) so then she added the DVD to her list as well.

I agree that my kids have been happy with whatever santa brought them. The magic of it all was still there, yk? I had a feeling her ideas would be a bit extreme because we moved to an area where people are pretty well off and it's hard to compete when her friends have indoor pools and such. I've told her that even if we were super wealthy, we would not be spoiling them like that.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adele_Mommy View Post
One year when I was a child I had requested a stuffed deer from Santa. My parents couldn't find one I guess, because on Christmas morning I found a stuffed donkey and a note from Santa saying many, many kids had asked for a stuffed deer and no one had asked for a stuffed donkey, which made this donkey really sad. Santa's letter said he knew I would love this donkey and give it a good home. I was totally thrilled to get a letter from Santa, and not disappointed at all. The donkey became one of my favorite stuffed animals. I've always remembered that.
What a beautiful story!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have the same problem. My 10yo totally believes still. He has a lego obsession and has been asking all year for a certain one that costs $130. I saved up and finally bought it for him last week. He hadn't made his letter yet, and now he told me yesterday that he's changed his mind and he's going to ask santa for a millenium falcon. They cost $500!!! There is obviously no way he is getting that. Now I have to find a good reason why.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That is very cool.

Quote:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
I've very simply explained to my kids that just becuase they ask for something it does not mean they'll get it from Santa(or anyone else).
This. and we remind them that Christmas isn't about the presents!

We set a limit, 5 things each. And since we don't have commercial TV (although they are total 'puter addicts
: ) their choices are usually do-able. And if we need help affording something, we ask the grandparents to pitch in. But of course things like a wii and $50+ things just aren't happening!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Get a piggybank and put some money in it (what you think is reasonable)
and enclose a letter form Santa explaining that he left her the start of her savings for her cub.

That can be her present without shattering the Santa illusion just yet, while paving the way to another lesson of saving up.

A.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by astrophe27 View Post
Get a piggybank and put some money in it (what you think is reasonable)
and enclose a letter form Santa explaining that he left her the start of her savings for her cub.

That can be her present without shattering the Santa illusion just yet, while paving the way to another lesson of saving up.

A.
Just wanted to say that I think you are brilliant

·
Registered
408 Posts
My girls both believe in santa and know that santa is the spirit of giving. We then talk alot this time of year about giving... that giving isn't about "stuff" or what the gift is, but about the fact that someone was thinking and caring about us. The spirit of giving is around this time of year and we will get gifts because so many people love us, but the "stuff" doesn't matter. When the "stuff" means more than the people the spirit of giving decreases for everyone.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have explained many times that Santa will not bring gifts that go against what mom or dad would buy. Santa also won't bring super expensive gifts. This was when my son asked for a PSP. Since we have limits on video games and we HAVE a DS and a Wii, I made it clear Santa probably will NOT bring a PSP.

They know that Santa will not bring PSP, Butterscotch the horse, Biscuit the dog or that triceratops that makes noise. He won't bring real animals. My kids have never been disappointed, and many times Santa brings things they never even knew they wanted.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Quote:

Awwwww!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.