Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
crap. I fed dd some blueberry goat's milk yogurt and happened to read the ingredients, and I noticed there is honey in it. she probably had about one tsp before I took it away. do I need to be worried? she's 16 months, what's the cutoff age?

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
honey is ok after 12 months... at least thats what it says on the bottle, lol

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh good..so I can let her have the rest? does the risk really disappear after 1 yr?

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
i thought it was 2?<br><br>
anyway, no, 1 spoonful shouldnt hurt them!<br><br>
but if you do give stuff with honey, try to make sure its cooked honey not raw.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Here's the scoop on honey: it can contain botulism spores, which, if ingested by a baby with a tummy that is too young and not producing enough acid, can grow into botulism toxins and be fatal. Generally 1 year is accepted as the age at which the tummy is producing enough acid I think.<br><br>
PASTURIZED honey is NOT SAFE. It is not pasturized at a high enough temperature to kill the spores. Cooking honey, like if it's in baked goods, might be ok, but it might not. Honey in yogurt is definitely not ok. But if your baby is over a year and it was just a little bit, then it's probably fine.<br><br>
Here's a <a href="http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/botulism.html" target="_blank">link.</a>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts