Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I do keep her nails cut!! It freaking hurts! I have small bruises and scratches all over my breasts. She is almost in a trance while nursing, she is obviously comfortable and enjoying herself. Her eyes are almost closed and have that glazed over look, she rhythmically opens and closes her hand 'pawing' my breast.
She almost reminds me of a cat, you know when a cat is purring, eyes half open, and opening and closing its paws. If it wasn't so painful it would be rather cute. I try to lay a blanket over the top of my breasts but she gets frantic until she finds skin. Then its squeeze, pinch, scratch!!

meow
:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,439 Posts
My DS just started doing this, and the best I've come up with is to try and hold his hand. Not very helpful or always practical. I also tell him, "Gentle with milkies, please!" while removing his hand.
:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
My daughter does it too. I remember reading somewhere that it's an instinctual manuever designed to encourage letdown. Neat trick, but it's painful! If she's particularly grabby I have her hold my finger while she nurses, and that seems to do the trick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
DD was doing this to me 30 seconds ago, lol! I move her hand and hold it (usually unsuccessfully) and tell her "no pinching, nice hands please" fwiw. DS never did this, he really respected the breast. Smart boy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,633 Posts
DS does that...along with kicking, hitting and caressing my chin - I don't think he realizes any of it...I haven't come up with a good solution yet - he's strong!

I notice most of our babies are the same age....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
My little one does this. I have a "nursing necklace," which helps. It's bright blue and has little beads and butterflies. This always catches her attention, and she's stopped scratching me. I may get a few more necklaces so she doesn't get bored.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mollies73 View Post
My little one does this. I have a "nursing necklace," which helps. It's bright blue and has little beads and butterflies. This always catches her attention, and she's stopped scratching me. I may get a few more necklaces so she doesn't get bored.
ah.........great idea!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Just a "Me Too". I have little scratches all over, but most times I can't bear to stop her, dd reminds me so much of a nursing kitten. I remember the look of peace that comes over the momma cat when her babies are blissfully kneading away, and try to go to my happy place like momma Kitty does. I am actually going to videotape it, I think it's so cute (albeit painful!)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rowantreeinak View Post
Just a "Me Too". I have little scratches all over, but most times I can't bear to stop her, dd reminds me so much of a nursing kitten. I remember the look of peace that comes over the momma cat when her babies are blissfully kneading away, and try to go to my happy place like momma Kitty does. I am actually going to videotape it, I think it's so cute (albeit painful!)


oh, I know!! Thats the same visualization I get when dds nursing. I can almost hear the purring
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,207 Posts
We're going through the same thing here. (Hi -
- from April '07 DDC!)

I hold his hand or use a nursing necklace or a toy for him to keep his interest and hands busy otherwise my boobs or arms get hurt or scratched. The harder part is figuring out what to do with his feet. His toenails are like little razors and impossible to clip so they don't hurt. And when we nurse side-lying (which is a lot lately) he digs his toes into my legs. I have bruises! He also does gymnastics while nursing - he goes up on his feet like he is doing a back-bend and then kicks backward. He does this so much his head is above my boob and I have to pull him back down. We supplement donor milk with an SNS too - and he unlatches and latches frequently for no reason other than that is how he seems to like to eat which means holding the nursing necklace with one hand and making sure the little tube gets back in his mouth every time he lets go - we're a comedic BF pair, that is for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by serenitii View Post
We're going through the same thing here. (Hi -
- from April '07 DDC!)

I hold his hand or use a nursing necklace or a toy for him to keep his interest and hands busy otherwise my boobs or arms get hurt or scratched. The harder part is figuring out what to do with his feet. His toenails are like little razors and impossible to clip so they don't hurt. And when we nurse side-lying (which is a lot lately) he digs his toes into my legs. I have bruises! He also does gymnastics while nursing - he goes up on his feet like he is doing a back-bend and then kicks backward. He does this so much his head is above my boob and I have to pull him back down. We supplement donor milk with an SNS too - and he unlatches and latches frequently for no reason other than that is how he seems to like to eat which means holding the nursing necklace with one hand and making sure the little tube gets back in his mouth every time he lets go - we're a comedic BF pair, that is for sure.
Our ddc! That brings back memories!

yeah, Jorie is an acrobatic nurser too! So much for discreet public nursing eh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,043 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mollies73 View Post
My little one does this. I have a "nursing necklace," which helps. It's bright blue and has little beads and butterflies. This always catches her attention, and she's stopped scratching me. I may get a few more necklaces so she doesn't get bored.
we will be getting one too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
I've got the same issue, and another 4/07 baby! I think its developmental. She's just figuring out that her hands do cool stuff on her command. Not that her commands are very accurate yet... She is a flailer, she bats at my chest/neck repetitively, and kicks too. The most recent and more painful annoyance is that she pulls her head back suddenly, while clamping my nip to take with her. yikes.

Hopefully they'll all outgrow it.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top