Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start out saying that I love sleeping in a family bed and that I would sooner sleep on the floor with DD than stop. DD just turned seven months old and suddenly she is writhing around at night until she finds a part of DH and then settles down. I always bring her back to me when I'm finally ready to sleep and put myself between the two of them, but even though I'm beside them the whole time, it still worries me. DH can get a little odd in his sleep sometimes. Like, he tried to move the arm she was sleeping on, realized he couldn't, and then tried to pick her up by her arm to remove her in a not so gentle way. He wasn't awake and I can stop him easily enough, but it's freaky. The baby didn't even wake up. It freaked me the Hell out. He's usually very still in his sleep, but he does go through episodes of... Sleep moving? He tries to grab things that aren't there. He doesn't move fast or hard, but I'm afraid that could change. Should I sleep in a different bed with her? I don't want to and I'm worried DH won't understand since he can't see himself or even remember doing any of theses things.
greensad.gif

·
Banned
1,860 Posts
Most people move in their sleep. You probably do it too, but you notice your dh's movement more than your own. And it's not always a totally safe thing - shortly after my dd learned to crawl, she crawled to a new spot (on my feet) at night and woke me up partway. I mistook her for the cat (she was about the right size) and tried to shove her off the bed with my foot. I woke up enough in time to stop myself from kicking her out of bed.

If you're worried about your dd's safety, moving the two of you to another bed would work. If you're deeply concerned, you should do it.

But, if your concern doesn't feel quite that urgent, you could also wait a little longer. If your dd's nighttime movement is a new thing, it might just take a couple weeks to settle into a pattern with it. As babies become more mobile, some of them start seeking more proprioreceptive stimulation - they want to push against something in several directions. It reinforces their sense of where they begin and end, and feels good, I hear. Being between you and your dh might provide some of that stimulation, as well as the sense of security that babies your dd's age are really in to. You might try putting her in the middle from the beginning of the night and leaving her there. If she's been there all along, rather than arriving suddenly, your dh's sleeping brain won't be shocked by the new sensation and he probably won't react as much.

You could try having a spare bed set up - you and dd could start the night in the family bed and move to the spare at any point if things don't seem to be going well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.