Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is 20 months. In the last few months it has become apparent that at times she does not want any of the adults in the house (currently me and DH plus my parents) to talk to each other. Just last night she was in the bath, and DH and I were trying to talk about the whole Barbara Walters breastfeeding thing. She kept whining and wailing so loudly that we couldn't carry on our conversation. I think she definitely wanted me to be paying attention to her and only her.

This isn't a constant problem - if she's engaged in something else you can usually have a conversation on the side. But it happens often enough that I think it's maybe more than coincidence. Have we created this? What do we do about it? Or am I just expecting too much to have an adult conversation in her presence if she's not otherwise occupied?

TIA for any help!

· Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen123
do you have something to say about that mean old Barbara Walters ?
:LOL

I bet she would, seeing as how she still loves to nurse.

Thanks for the suggestions so far... we sometimes resort to talking to her, using that tone of voice we usually use with her but not with each other, but we say whatever it was we wanted to say just so we can get our thought out.

"DD, did you know that Mama thinks that it's crazy that it's OK to see breasts in a sexual way, but no one wants to see them perform their biological function?" :LOL

The turn-taking thing is a good idea, too. We could definitely start introducing the concept when playing and it might carry over to conversations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.