Mothering Forum banner

DD Got Her Ears Pierced - wasn't too successful.

635 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mama_mojo 
#1 ·
For my dd birthday, I surprised her and took her to get her ears pierced. She loved it. I did tell her before that when the time came for her to get them pierced they would be her responsibility with the taking care of them. She did a really good job, but her ears never stopped being sore. She patiently (and diligently cleaned) the 6 weeks. One day, she said they were really sore when I took the earring out, fresh blood came out. This was about 8 weeks after. She was pretty much done then. She then cried and said she wanted them to close and didn't want pierced ears anymore. She said it was too much work and too much pain. She would rather wait until she was older. I just chalked it up to a lesson learned, and moved on. Anyone else have little ones with problems piercing?

#3 ·
My DD had the same issue.
I am allergic to any metals except solid gold, silver or steel as well so I made sure what she had in was one of those. She, also, decided to let them heal up. She says she thinks she wants them done again in the future, but I'm waiting until she is positive she is ready.

Her younger sister has had no problems at all with hers which stumped me.

#4 ·
Yep, i'm allergic to most metals when they are inserted into my body, and so is my daughter. She's doing great with titanium earrings though. She saved up and got her ears re-pierced herself.

eta: gold, silver, and stainless steel cause both of us to react. I've never gotten mine repierced after I took out the 18k gold earrings that were causing me pain years ago. She got hers done with her birthday money last year, and hasn't had any reactions to titanium.

#5 ·
Oh yes, titanium, too!

Oddly enough, I had a hard time as a kid with my one lobe piercings. Now as an adult, I have 8 ear piercings and have NO problems with them. I did get most done at a tattoo/piercing salon the "proper" way, though and I wonder if that's part of it, as well as using titanium, steel, etc.

#6 ·
I had a lot of trouble with mine. The first time they didn't want to heal well and I gave up and let them heal up. I can't remember if I had them repierced one or twice. I also have to use gold or the like.
My mom can only have certain ear rings also. With her, her body "eats" off any other metal. Even the gold coated ones.

#8 ·
Were the piercings done with studs or hoops? The studs can easily be too tight and impede healing. However, I think it's really common to be allergic to certain metals.

Knock on wood- we're 8 weeks past the piercing and DD has been fine. We switched from the piercing hoops to studs, and she had trouble one night, but the stud had cinched up on the side she lays on. Problem solved.

I'm sorry for your DD; I know my DD was VERY upset when I suggested we just take them out and start over some other time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.