Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted yesterday that my dd had a headache and fever I do believe she gets migrains. She suffered all day yesterday crying cause it hurt so bad I thried several homepathic remedies and NONE helped her I resulte din giving her motrin. I went to dr today and he said she has somethign viral and we discussed the headaches and said theya re probably migrains she didnt have nay other symptoms to worry him. He suggested Motrin when they get real bad. I have read all the stuff on Motrina nd know its not good for htem but she is really hurting. I did result into giving it again today for her and she is up coloring now before she couldnt get off the couch. SO my big question is when do you result into OTC meds I feel guilty for giving it and she didnt want to take it but she was tired of it hurting.<br><br>
What do you mommas do?<br><br>
amy

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I know exactly how you feel, I hate giving those kinds of things to them especially when I know that it's not healthy. But migrains are a special kind of pain that no one should have to suffer through. I count my blessing that modern medicine exists when I get a migrain and have pain killers around (that is so not like me). So imo give the motrin or whatever. But also start exploring what might be causing the headaches in the first place (stress, diet, lack of sleep, too much sugar, ect). Try and eliminate what's causing them and then you shouldn't have to go through this as often. Hope she feels better soon.

·
Premium Member
17,826 Posts
Definately what the prevous poster said. I hate OTC meds too, but sometimes they are necessary. Think of them as a temporary treatment of her symptoms as you research the cause. Try not to let her see how uncomfortable you are giving her Motrin, so that way she won't feel guilty or like she's disappointing you by taking it. Then tell her that you are going to be detectives and work together to find out what causes them. Good luck to you both.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
When I get migraines I take a couple of my b-complex vitamins. I take one everyday, but when I have a migraine taking extra almost always does the trick. I am not sure why this works, but a girlfriend once recommended it and it works.....for me anyway. I don't know if there is a 'b' that kids can take easily.<br><br>
Lots of water, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts