Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is x-posted in Allergies as well...

dd is 12 mos old and through our own food trials I know she is sensitive to dairy, wheat, eggs, corn, peas, avocado, peaches, and bananas. There's prob more but that's what we've discovered so far. Her reaction is super acid poop that instantly creates open bleeding sores wherever it touches (even when wiped away ASAP). I've never kept eating the food or giving it to her once that reaction occurs but before we started eliminating she also had tons of spit up...what I would call projectile vomiting I think more than spit up...and excema along with being intensely high needs.

About 6 weeks ago I started us on supplements because I was concerned about her growth (hadn't gained any weight or height from 5-11 mos of age). Dd started taking probiotics and having bone broth every day. I started on digestive enzymes, CLO, Vit C, and glutamine (I also was on probiotics but had a really bad reaction to them so I quit them). Miraculously about 2 weeks after starting all this she started growing! She def had a growth spurt and she seemed like she was really healing and just acting happier and healthier IMO and dh's.

However now I've noticed she's gone back to not digesting any food we give her. At first it was a bit of a joke to say how it came out looking the same as it went in. But after giving her beets today I'm realizing just how fast they are going through her body with no processing being done at all. She had small chunks of beets at 4 pm this afternoon and at 7 pm when I took her diaper off for her bath there were all the beets: looked exactly the same. I don't know when she pooped but even if it was just moments before the bath that means they were only in her body for 3 hours and then pooped right out.

She poops ALL THE TIME. I haven't really been counting but at least 4-5 times a day. It's not diarhea and not mucousy although it used to be very mucousy when she was younger and not on solids.

She's not nursing as much lately and she's obviously not growing again. I'm starting to wonder if I should supplement her with some formula to make sure she's getting all the proper nutrients? Of course she may react to it but I'm thinking it may be worth a try?

Dh JUST got a new job...he's supposed to start on the 25th. Our new insurance will kick in on Sept 1st so I can't get her in to anywhere until then. We're also doing a cross country move for this job so I don't even know if we'll be in a house yet by then or still in a hotel...and of course I'm going to have to find a new pediatrician and we don't vax so sometimes it takes a bit to find someone, kwim?

· Registered
4,195 Posts
I'm sure you'll get some knowledgeable replies, as I have little experience with food allergies in babies, but there's a few things I learned with my DD that might help.

DD didn't really eat any solid foods until after 18 months. She would taste them but never really ate much in terms of calories. I think this is often pretty normal. Does your DD seem hungry and enjoy eating solids? If not, trying to nurse her frequently should provide her with what she needs. If you try to nurse her more and decrease the solids, intestinal transit time should increase, so that she can get more from the breastmilk and solids that she does eat.

Also, root vegetables (except well-cooked potatoes) are especially difficult for little ones to digest. I don't know why. I haven't even tried beets with my DD. But carrots, for example, come out exactly the same as they went in.

Is she meeting her milestones and appearing happy and engaged most of her waking hours? If so, I don't know that I would change anything except to continue to eliminate those things you know cause her problems. Go back to the safe foods for a few days to let her gut heal then try one new thing at a time and see how she does. For us, safe foods are turkey, chicken, potatoes, and rice. Some babies have trouble with rice, though.

· Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No dd LOVES solids. She's pretty much obsessed with them and would probably happily sit in her high chair all day long and eat if we let her. Dh gets up with her in the mornings and he tells me that she'll eat an adult sized bowl of oatmeal and then still flip out and cry when he tries to take her out of the chair. My ds was the same way and would really pack it away...I swear my kids have hollow legs or something...but ds was totally on track in growth and did really great on table food; he was formula fed and went straight to whole milk at a year and all that and was totally fine. He didn't have all these allergies and such though.

She's meeting all her milestones...she's ridiculously strong for being 12 mos old and not yet really walking. The other day at the play area she climbed a 5 ft wall that was only slightly angled with no foot holds...it was basically like a steep slide. She is sort of like a baby spider girl lol. She can and does climb anything and everything.

Oh and she's never been a comfort nurser. If she doesn't want to nurse she doesn't want anything to do with it. These days if I'm trying to nurse her she's usually trying to get away and climb into her high chair instead (and of course she actually CAN climb into it
)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.