Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 2 days my DD has refused to nurse at all. She is just over 9 months old.

I work full time, I pump while I am at work, and up until this point have been able to keep up with her daily demand for milk. Since I work full time, it is not an option to cut out bottle feedings. I can't take any time off work.

DD has started teething (she has no teeth yet), which could be the reason for the nursing strike. However, she bit down on me really hard the other day and I yelled in pain (my nipple throbbed for hours) which could have triggered it also. DD will take a bottle of EBM, but will not nurse at the breast. I have tried to be patient (act like no big deal if she refuses...dont want to stress her), give her lots of mommy time and skin to skin and I keep offering the breast to her often. She just arches her back, yells, and slaps me away. I am doing everything that they say to do on Kellymom except cutting out bottles. DD hasnt taken a pacifier since she started nursing fulltime (she was a preemie so we werent able to nurse fulltime until she was almost 2 months old).

I am going to really work with her this weekend while I am home.

This is really hard on me emotionally! I will keep trying to get her back on the breast but I don't know how long I can take this. Maybe she is just getting bigger and prefers the bottle over mama. She has an impatient temperament and doesn't like waiting for my letdown.

My supply has really dwindled with nothing but pumping. I am pumping extra trying to keep it up but its just not and my nipples are so sore from all the pumping. I am trying to come to grips with the fact that I may need to give her formula soon to cover her daily demands. Any other working BFing mamas combine BM and Formula? How do you do that? DD has never had 1 drop of formula I am worried she may reject it. Do you mix formula and BM together or give them separately? I will continue to pump for as long as I can I figure any milk she can get is beneficial...

I am really taking this hard! I hope it is only temporary but I fear its not. I had a personal goal to keep up with breastfeeding until she was at least 1 year old. Its been a challenging road for us and for her to stop so soon is killing me!

Please help!

· Registered
600 Posts
I find this sad you posted a month ago and got no responses.... has no one here dealt with nursing strikes? I would have loved to read advice from other moms on this post! How did this turn out for you?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.