Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just came back from a 12 day trip with DD to visit family. Previous to this trip and the entire trip (besides the car rides) she has been held or worn or sleeping next to us close to 24 hours a day. On the way there we broke the trip up over a few days (it's a 12 hour drive), visiting other relatives on the way. She did great. Everyone kept commenting on how happy and confident she seems already at her age. On the way back we were planning on dividing the trip into two days, but the relative we were going to be staying with was sick and DD seemed to be doing well in the car seat, so we ended up doing it all in one day. We were tired of traveling and visiting and couldn't wait to be home. By the end of the trip she was a bit crabby, so I moved into the back with her to talk and cuddle (as best as I could with her in the car seat and me buckled in the small space next to her) and just so she could see me. That was Wednesday.

Thursday and Friday she was nursing more than normal, but seemed her usual self otherwise. Yesterday she was really crabby. It was hard to settle her when she was awake, and she would sometimes wake up and immediately start crying, which isn't like her. Anytime I put her down (to change her, in the bouncy chair so I could pee, etc.) she would immediately start crying. I've become expert at changing a diaper while trying to cuddle her in one arm.
And still nursing WAY more than normal (it's going to be interesting to see what she weighs at our midwife appointment next week!). She seems a bit better today but still fairly crabby. She doesn't have a fever and doesn't seem sick, just fussier and hungrier than normal. I actually think a lot of the nursing she isn't actually really eating, just sucking, which is fine I'm glad to be able to comfort her that way.

My gut tells me she is just recovering from being in a car seat all day Wednesday, as well as the whole trip in general. We've been careful to hold her constantly and tell her we love her, and to just cuddle and comfort her if she seems to be crying for no reason, etc. Does it sound like I am right and it's just from the traveling or should I be worried it is something more serious? If I am right, how long does that normally last and is there anything more we can be doing to help her through it?

ETA: She is 8 weeks today so was 6 - 7 1/2 weeks for the trip.

Thank you!

·
Registered
338 Posts
My DD was 7 MO when we drove from Washington to New Mexico. She was an angel the whole time, but was VERY difficult settling in one we were there.

I think some personlities just handle stress by waiting until they are in a safe comfy environment to vent it out. That's how DD is.

Good Luck,
Crystal

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Welcome to hell!

Just been through a similar situation with DS. Same amount of driving, sounds like the same symptoms. It's been a month since we've returned and he is now happy and normal again. It took him a while but every baby is different!

·
Registered
291 Posts
we've been through the same thing. we've just completely an out of state move and had to travel back and forth numerous times. she was always fine while we were traveling but as soon as we got home she had a hard time readjusting to life. it takes her a week or two to get re-situated.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all, from a new mama trying not to worry too much.
It is reassuring to know it's not just her. She does seem a little happier today, though still eating more and not wanting to be put down at all. It's interesting to hear the babies were good while traveling and only when home got fussy or "clingy", so that makes sense about the safe, familiar environment.

Pyxi my very first thought when she was eating a whole lot was that it might be a growth spurt. However her previous ones she has gone through (one at 3 weeks and one at 5 weeks) she was only really fussy in the evening, though she would eat all day. This just seems different, though it's hard to explain how exactly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.