Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD will be starting part-time daycare in June (she'll be 7 months old). She'll be in care all day Monday and Wednesday and a half day on Friday. She is EBF and will not take a bottle. However, I've been experimenting with a sippy cup with a little water (less than an ounce) and she loves it.<br><br>
I'm going to try pumping and feeding her from the sippy, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to pump enough for her (I've never gotten more than 2 ounces in a pumping session).<br><br>
I will be starting solids when she is six months old (she's shown all the signs of readiness now), so I could send solid foods to supplement the milk I can pump. I'd rather add some extra solids than do formula.<br><br>
Anyway, does that plan sound okay? I'm just so worried about her being hungry. And I'm worried because I nurse her to sleep for naps - how will she fall asleep?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I THINK that it sounds ok. I am going back to work in July...DD will be 9 months old. That is my plan add some solids and mama milk in a bottle when i am not around. My MIL will be taking care of her.<br>
In the mean time try to get another care giver to put her down for naps sometimes. When I am around DD wants to nurse to sleep but if I am not she will fall asleep for someone else.<br>
good luck mama

·
Registered
167 Posts
Set a new regular pumping session now to get a stash set up. You'd be surprised what you can pump if you give your body the notice it needs to provide for that session. I found first thing in the am after nursing was the most productive time for me. Then pump at regular times at work and you will probably get what you need.<br><br>
DS didn't start in daycare until he was 11 months and was exclusively bf'd w/a little solids. I was pretty worried since we'd been 100% unable to get him to drink from a bottle or sippy AT ALL before day care. I started by sending him w/ several 3 oz bottles/sippies and let day care figure out what worked best for him. He ended up taking a bottle w/no problem (go figure, just about the time most kids are giving up a bottle my son finally takes one) but only when he was sitting down in a highchair with his meal/snack...he wanted no part of being held and given a bottle or sippy. It was a super easy transition for him and luckily I'd spent the entire 11 months building a monster supply so I didn't even pump at work, just used my stash. He's still bfing today (he's 20 months old) but only 1 or 2 times a day......it's gone down dramatically since I got pregnant w/#3. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts