Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,881 Posts
Hi Lisa!

Are you sure dd completely swallowed it? Just want to make sure it isn't stuck in her throat or anything. My little cousin once had my aunt's ring stuck in her throat for a few months and eventually they realized the cause of eating problems so did surgery to remove it.

That wasn't very helpful I guess. I'm always paranoid that ds is going to pick something up and get it stuck in his throat as dd leaves stuff laying around all the time!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i'm actually not positive. she had it in her hand at one point, then was walking around. and then all of the sudden she was choking. omg it was horrible! i should've turned her upside down, but instead stuck my finger down her throoat to clear the passage. i'm guessing she then swallowed it, as she was perfectly fine. she has eaten since then, and hasn't had any problems. but i will keep an eye out for throat issues.
ugh, what a day....

thanks for the response michelle...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
My niece once swallowed a quarter
: (I know, is that even possible?) and another coin (age 2-3). No one witnessed the feast but my niece later told my sil that she "ate money" and my sil rushed her to the ER. The x-ray confirmed that they were in her stomache and all the docs did was give her a glass of water. Her older sister asked sil if she could keep the coins once they passed through her sister
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,238 Posts
If you do lots of fiber make sure you do lots of fluids otherwise it can have a binding effect.

We thought my ds swallowed a watch battery (dime sized) so we went to the ER and they said if it was just money they would have sent us home but the battery has chemicals in it....anyways, they did X ray (which I rather have NOT had) and he didnt actually swallow it. A week later we found it under the entertainment center. Anyways, If she is eating ok I would guess its probably not stuck and will pass within a day or 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,488 Posts
All you moms should know how to do the "Heimlich Maneuver" just in case. I had to use it on my grandson once - the first time I ever had to resort to something like that - because he inhaled a piece of candy. (It was actually an herbal cough bonbon!)

At the time he was just three, but knew enough to run to me and pointed to his throat. He tried to yell but nothing came out. We both panicked but luckily I regained my senses quickly, did the "Heimlich Manoeuver" on him and the candy popped out, clear across my kitchen. And he was fine. I didn't even take him to the dr. figured it was too late and there was nothing he could do about it now.

The two of us still get a kick out of it when we discuss it. It's now 3 yrs. later. He thinks it's so funny
: (I'm still grateful)
the way the candy flew across the kitchen floor. Neither one of us actually expected that. But I would not be afraid to do that on anyone now. It is so easy to do and it works!

Please all you moms, study the procedure and don't hesitate when you see someone chocking on food or anything else. I does safe lives.

Heimlich Maneuver
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesireeH
We thought my ds swallowed a watch battery (dime sized) so we went to the ER and they said if it was just money they would have sent us home but the battery has chemicals in it.....
Mine actually did this. We took him to the ER and he had major abdominal surgery, was in the hosp. for a week! When my dh's pediatrician friend found out he was livid. He said there was more of a chance of complications from the surgery than of the battery rupturing in his intestines. He said they should have just left him pass it.

Anyway...I hope things "come out" alright for your dd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,813 Posts
Go to any place that has a metal detector you have pass though like at a court house. If it goes off when he goes though he swallowed it
You can also ask them to use the hand scanner to see where its located (throat vs intestines)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
My ds swallowed a penny once and the dr. told us not to worry unless he had abdominal pain. He never did. Initially we were told by an advice nurse to get gloves and search through all his poop for a week until we find it - YUCK - our pedi. then told us this is not necessary. Don't dig through poop - it's DISGUSTING! If a week goes by and no pain/problems, then you're in the clear.

Edited to add: our pedi who has a great sense of humor told us we only need to worry if he start makin' change!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,573 Posts
All the talk of getting the dime back reminded me of when my old cat swallowed a nickel--we didn't know until he was extremely sick so he had surgery to remove it, the vet handed it to me in a little container and said I better keep it cause it was worth far more than any other nickel!!
:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
darn it... nothing yet....
i gave her some probiotics to help stimulate the intestines. hopefully we'll see it later today. we need a finger crossing smile.

thanks again everyone!
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top