Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is 3 weeks old and has been sleeping between DH and i from birth. We keep the apt pretty warm, at around 76-78 degrees, mostly for energy conservation reasons. DH and I usually wear nothing on top or something light, because we keep the covers (just a topsheet) low so as to not cover DD's head. DD sleeps nude on top of a prefolds under her face and bum, and a matress pad under that (no dipe, we EC). She is usually touching some part of my exposed arm or chest.<br><br>
However, everytime I check her or we wake up, she's sweating. She doesn't cry, but she does squirm a lot--it usually means she needs to pee, but could she be too hot? I'm worried about her overheating. Is the skin to skin contact causing this? When we put her more in the middle, not touching either of us, she seems less hot, but she inevitably finds her way to DH or myself. Would putting a light t-shirt on her help regulate her temp/sweating better? Is the sweating a problem is she's not crying about it? I really like our set-up but am worried about her health.<br><br>
Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I can only give you advise as a mom of a fellow-sweater. My dd has my dh's water-cooling system and whenever it is the least bit humid she becomes a puddle of goo (a loveable puddle of goo). I have found that a onsie does help because it absorps some of the sweat. She has always slept in between us. She is almost 1 yo now. We did invest in an air unit and have kept the house at about 75-76 when it's humid (if it's not that humid, we don't turn it on).<br><br>
Aside from just being hot, I think the sweat bothers me more than her. When she BF she sometimes gets incredibly sweaty. I will wipe a cool baby washcloth through her hair sometimes and just try to minimize her contact with my skin (when she is asleep-often I will let my arm be the closest contact to her - that way she touches me but not a part that radiates heat).<br><br>
If you're not a sweater (I'm not) it's also easy to feel guilty about not wanting to stay real close. I felt like a bad mom about it sometimes but my dh and a good friend reminded me that it's pretty normal not to want to snuggle up to someone so hot and sweaty. Fall is coming and perhaps less humidity. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts