Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting sooo tired of the daily struggle to get teeth brushed! My dd is 5 1/2 years old and has NEVER brushed her teeth (or had me brush them) easily. I've always had to jump through hoops to make it happen. I've tried being stern about it, just kind of matter-of-fact, this is what we have to do. I also tried getting her an electric toothbrush, which lost it's appeal after a few months. I bought her some Tom's of Maine silly strawberry toothpaste and let her pick out her own toothbrush. Today I told her, in a very neutral tone, that if we were going to go to our park date, then our teeth had to be brushed first. I hate doing this because it seems like a threat, so I don't do it very often. But today, she was like, "Okay, then I want to stay home", which isn't like her at all because she loves getting out of the house. I've also tried just not mentioning it at all, but then it just doesn't happen. Oh, and I've tried makng it fun, and telling stories about monsters trying to eat her teeth and such. She used to love this and even though it was sometimes exhausting, I kept it up until one day she just didn't want to play anymore.
Now she'll just tell me, "I don't care if the monsters eat my teeth, Mom." I'm at a loss! I feel like I can't just let this go, she gets cavities very easily. My last resort is trying a responsibility chart. I bought the one by Melissa & Doug but I haven't opened it yet. My dp thinks it a bad idea and it will backfire on me, but he can't tell me why. I've never used a rewards system with her, and that's why I'm hesitant to use it. Oh, and we are having the same struggle with baths now! She used to love them and now suddenly she refuses to take them.

Part of me is just embarassed that I can't even get my dd to brush her teeth. What I am going to do when she gets older and the struggles get bigger?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
i hope somebody has some good advice b/c my son won't brush his either. i can see the tartar in between his bottom center teeth.
:

·
Premium Member
5,982 Posts
Assuming you've had the dentist "scare her straight" over this?

That would be my first thought, taking her to the dentist and letting him have a somber, serious talk to her.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by heartmama
Assuming you've had the dentist "scare her straight" over this?

That would be my first thought, taking her to the dentist and letting him have a somber, serious talk to her.
My mom is a dental assistant and we do visit the dentist often. I know that my mom has talked to her and I'm pretty sure the dentist has too. You'd think that with having to get 11 cavities filled in the last couple of years that would have made an impact.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Have you shown her pictures of people with rotten teeth? I think that 5 might be old enough to try that. I'm almost to that point with my 4-year- old. I'm not a punishment kind of parent, but I told him very matter-of-factly the other day that if he continued to struggle with me about brushing his teeth, then there would be no more sweets for him, period. I've tried everything else and am at my wit's end, as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Been there, done that. It really sounds like you have tried everything. Do you think she is just being difficult, she doesn't understand the consequences, or do you think there is something unpleasant for her about dental care?

This was a huge issue for my younger DD when she was 2 and 3. She did eventually outgrow it but it just sucked the life right out of me for over a year. It nearly drove me to drinking.
Things that help now are getting new tooth brushes often (whatever makes her happy) using the same brand of tooth paste (she likes' Kids Crest and hates all others), having a routine for brushing teeth (after putting on jammies, before telling daddy goodnight), feedback from the dentist, and being reminded frequently that this is what we do to avoid fillings (she's had 4!).

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonfly
Have you shown her pictures of people with rotten teeth? I think that 5 might be old enough to try that. I'm almost to that point with my 4-year- old. I'm not a punishment kind of parent, but I told him very matter-of-factly the other day that if he continued to struggle with me about brushing his teeth, then there would be no more sweets for him, period. I've tried everything else and am at my wit's end, as well.

Good luck.
Yeah, but rotten teeth really don't have much to do with not brushing. Good nutrition is far more important. Would your DS allow you to give his teeth a good wipe with a terry face cloth? It really is pretty effective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.