Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've tried pling off and on the last six months or so, and dd has developed a potty phobia. Up until now she's refused (kicking, screaming, banchee tantrums) to pee on the potty. She also will not pee without a diaper on (up until now). Meaning, she won't have an accident. She'll hold her pee for up to 15 hours until she can't physically hold it anymore then will scream bloody murder when she finally pees either down her leg or on the potty if I can get her there. So obviously that doesn't work. We totally dropped the whole issue a month ago, put the potties in the closets, figured she'll do it when she's ready. Which doesn't bother me, I can wait. The problem is, now she doesn't want to pee in her diapers either. Every time she has to go she says "I don't want to pee, I don't want to pee!" and will hold it as long as she can, even while in a diaper! So if I can't get her to pee on the potty and now she doesn't want to pee in her diapers WHAT DO I DO???? This kid is killing me!!! Has anyone dealed with a kid just not wanting to pee, period? My first thought was UTI, but she's so verbal, and hasn't said anything about it hurting. She was constipated yesterday and told us over and over that it hurt to poop. The last tooth that came in she was able to tell us her tooth hurt. So I think if it was hurting to pee she'd tell us, you know? She did the same thing this morning when she woke up. She's sleeping through the night in panties and has no accidents. She wakes up and we put a diaper on so she will pee. The last two mornings it's been around 10 before she'll finally pee after sleeping all night! She fidgets and does the "I don't want to pee! I don't want to pee!" thing while wanting to be held and acting generally uncomfortable. I can deal with physical illnesses, but this psychological stuff is tricky!! We are constantly talking about what makes your body healthy, how it's important to eat good food and drink lots of fluids and that peeing and pooping keeps your body healthy and strong. She just has some fear, or other issue that I can't figure out and can't talk her out of. I am taking her to the doctor this week, so we'll see if she has any advice. This is nuts. Kids!!!

· Registered
1,042 Posts
Yes, I can totally relate to this. I think kids get the idea they just won't pee and that will solve the whole potty training problem.
I say, encourage her to pee on stuff. A sand pail or aluminum mixing bowl? The bathtub, sink, or porch? A pile of cloth diapers even. Then praise her like this, "hooray! you let the peepee out! doesn't that feel better?" Then the other idea, is to pretend that you love to go pee. "Oh, yay, mommy has to pee!" then silly run to the bathroom, when you start to go make a big deal of it. " Oooh, that feels so good, all the pee pee is coming right out, that feels so much better!" I think kids get the idea that it's bad to let go the pee/poo. Like you said, kids are nuts!

· Registered
3,206 Posts
I was just suspect that my dd could have a uti last week so I did a lot of reading online and my conclusion was that even a verbal child should be checked out if they have the symptoms. Has she had a fever, does her urine smell? If so I would probably place a call to the dr to have a urine sample tested. You could catch it the next time she pees and take it in tomorrow.

· Registered
1,553 Posts
I don't know how old your dc is and how verbal she would be. DD is 2 1/2 and can verbalize almost all her needs but some she will and others she won't or sometimes if she is for e.g. hungry she will ask for food at other times she'll just have a tantrum. If she's experiencing pain usually she will let us know but sometimes she just doesn't find it neccessary to tell us.

· Registered
2,793 Posts
Ditto to what averlee said. We did EC with DD and she had occasionally potty aversions... "potty strikes" they're often called. The Stand-up Pee saved our sanity so many times! No matter how determined and angry and fussy she was, as soon as we let her stand up in the bathtub, she relaxed and peed and smiled.

She's 2.5 and still loves to pee standing up outside... "pee on the rocks" and "pee in the grass" are two of her favourite outdoor activities lol... She takes off her clothes, and knows to squat a bit to not get her legs and feet wet (took her awhile to learn this of course!)

Also the suggestion of showing how much you enjoy peeing is great. Let her come with you in the loo if you're not already, and show how happy you are to pee.

You might see if she's willing to pee in-arms, like the EC "classic position". It can help them relax. Holding her that way over the sink or over the toilet. Oftentimes, just a 'change of scenery' can help them get over pee phobias.

Best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.