Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have 1 child, so I don't have anything to compare to, but I'm amazed at how my 1 yr. old doesn't seem to be afraid of anything.

She will put her face under water in the tub and come up coughing and sputtering - then laugh and do it again! She'll try to stand up in the tub so she can belly flop and slide from one end of the tub to the other. (I don't let her - but it IS pretty funny when she does it)

She'll eat anything we give her - which makes things easy for us, but it's a little strange that she's not more hesitant about new things.

If she's on the couch with me and wants to get down, she'll just try to dive forward. She will climb up ANYTHING if we let her. She doesn't seem to be afraid of heights. We are trying to teach her to "turn around... feet first" but she doesn't get it.

At daycare, she will try to climb onto the big-wheel thingy while one of the other kids trying to use it!

She has tried to climb the chain-link fence at the edge or the yard!

She's very calm and cuddly - very social, loves to look at books, not hyper, not a "sensitive" baby (IMO all babies should be considered "sensitive" but I think people know what I mean). Are other people's 1 yr olds like this? I know "normal" doesn't really exist (except as a dryer setting!) but her fearlessness seems weird to me.

·
Registered
677 Posts
our kids must be kindred spirits. anna has been fearless since birth, loves heights, pretty much a little mountain goat and will try to climb everything. she was like that at 1 and is pretty much the same at 2-
i've just set some limits but it is hard not to install my own fears in her-

·
Registered
778 Posts
One of my twin girls is fearless too...although more with physical things (I wish she was also fearless with food like your dd!)

She climbs up and down the stairs of our house, on the kitchen table, basically anywhere that requires her to climb! At first I was really scared, but you know, she is really good at it and far more able to do these things than I would have thought.

The other day she climbed up a ladder to one of those wooden playground sets. I couldn't believe it.

This will probably serve our girls well later in life!

Dana
Avery & Natalie 10/14/02

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Owen is fearless also--physically anyway. He's 18 months old. The other day I found him on my KITCHEN COUNTER, playing with the laptop. It *was* pretty cute.
I'm so used to it now, though. One thing I had a really hard time with was the fact that he was ALWAYS on the kitchen table. I can handle him standing on chairs, but the table is just too high. I finally got one of those ratcheting tie down straps out of the garage and put it around all the chairs and tightened it (we have a round table) so he can't pull the chairs out to climb on top of the table. We've had 4 table-free days now and I'm a lot more calm. I just undo it for meals and redo it after--works great!

We have one of those large playset/towers in our backyard. Owen climbs UP the slide and into the tower. Scares the carp outta me that he's going to fall OUT of the tower. That's a long drop.

I'm used to a lot of his antics now--he crawls up into the living room window and sits in the sill--I can't have that window open EVER--oh well...

I rearranged the living room last week because we had our loveseat up against the 1/2 wall that looks over our foyer and I was always scared that he'd somehow make it over the wall--well, he did end up with one leg over it and I caught him. I immediately rearranged. It actually looks nicer, so it wasn't all bad.

All that to say "you are not alone"! :LOL

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brayg
I finally got one of those ratcheting tie down straps out of the garage and put it around all the chairs and tightened it (we have a round table) so he can't pull the chairs out to climb on top of the table. We've had 4 table-free days now and I'm a lot more calm. I just undo it for meals and redo it after--works great!

ooh, what a great idea! I've been trying to figure out how to solve this problem!

I just had ds#2, and moved the changing table into the bathroom, next to the toilet. ds1 (22 mos) likes to climb up onto the toilet seat and "help" me change his brother. today I caught him up there, greasing up his hands and feet with diaper salve, and trying to climb from the toilet up onto the changing table. yikes! that's why our bathroom door has a lock on the outside, not the inside! Now, if only I could remember to keep it locked....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts