Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Julia (9 1/2 months) has not been sleeping well for over a month now. I blamed it first on major milestones, but she's crawling and cruising well now and still not sleeping. Then I thought teeth, but they're through now and still not sleeping. Watching her, I realized that she was only falling asleep well when she was OUT of bodily contact, and that it was me or DH moving/coughing/snoring/etc. that was waking her up, and I finally came to the realization that she was asking me for her own space to sleep in. She doesn't WANT to be rocked to sleep, and she doesn't WANT to cuddle all night. So for three nights now, she's slept in the crib, which has been gathering dust for 10 months now. The first night she made it 4 hours, and woke up unhappy, so I brought her back to bed with me. The second night, I fed her and put her down in there and patted her back for a few minutes, and she went right to sleep, which is the first time in weeks that she's fallen asleep without tears. She slept 12 hours, and woke up well-rested and happy. It's been MONTHS since she was happy and rested in the morning! Ditto for last night.

So I'm waking up to the fact that my baby, young as she is, is ready to leave my bed, and I'm so SAD. I always figured on co-sleeping for AT LEAST two years, but I've been blessed with a very independent little girl I guess.

I guess I'm not longer :familybed and I think I'm in mourning over it.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I just transitioned my 11 month old ds into his crib and he slept 9 hrs last night, not a peep(I know I was up sick with my other one and thought for sure I would hear him). DD is 3.5 and we just transitioned her to her own bed last month. ds just couldn't handle laying next to me anymore. Didn't want to nurse to sleep. Last night he actually reached for his crib. It's a bizarre feeling!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Try not to feel bad. Your baby is happy, you're meeting her needs. We don't get to choose our baby's needs, only respond to them. You're doing a wonderful job, and are so intune with her needs. (ps- enjoy the sleep
it might not last forever, LOL).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.