Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is 16 days old and her poop has turned green in the past 3 days. It is still the same consistency and frequency but not the mustard yellow color anymore. Could it be something I am eating? I do eat a lot of leafy green vegetables. My breastmilk is kind of yellow (looks like that Jell-O vanilla pudding) but I don't know if that is normal. I just hope it doesn't mean anything bad!

·
Registered
255 Posts
From my experience, as long as it is soft and she isn't having any other problems, I wouldn't worry about it. My kids had varying colors of breastmilk poop, and there was never any issue. It could be something you are eating, but again, unless she is showing signs of constipation or an allergy to the food(s) you are eating, it isn't something you need to worry about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
But knittingmama is right too.

Green poop = "food allergy" in most peoples experiences. HOWEVER, if she isn't cranky and uncomfortable, then don't worry momma!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Chocolate is one of the most common causes of green poo. If I have even one piece of chocolate, dd's poo turns. It doesn't bother her, so I still indulge sometimes!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
The biggest cause of green poop is fore/hind milk inbalance. Try feeding on one breast for several feedings then switch for the next few- called block feeding.

-Angela

·
Registered
794 Posts
green poop can also mean that the body is just processing faster then normal. green is still within the normal 'fall colors' and should only cause concern when mucousy or frothy.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It could also be a little more foremilk vs. hind milk or not enough fat in your diet. Don't know for sure, but just wanted to add other options

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Wow -- good timing on this thread! I saw it just as my husband opened up our daughter's diaper to her first green poo. Relief to see these answers. I will try the block feeding... I thought I had been switching too much lately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts